Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Is 3 too young?...

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 11:47 PM
  • 13 Replies

Is 3 too young for a 'chore chart'? Obviously I know it's not going to be vaccuming, mopping, etc. Just wondering if you ladies have any ideas for a chore chart with rewards at the end of the day, week, etc?

by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HollyHawk333
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:01 AM
2 moms liked this
Our three year old has one. It has: pick up toys before nap time/bed time
Put laundry in hamper
Wipe of table(she likes to do this after dinner anyway)
Brush teeth
Help make her bed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JJJMommyKris
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:03 AM
I don't have one but I am interested in other opinions and ideas
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:14 AM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gooberzilla
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Hmm.  I think it depends on your child.  In general sticker or chore charts are most effective with children older than 6, however I have known sticker charts to be very effective for younger children (about age 4) with regards to behavior.  Some kids just love getting the stickers, but others aren't interested in that just yet.  If you used sticker charts for potty training, then it will probably work for chores (use pictures instead of words, focus on only 1-3 "chores" they need to do, DO NOT FORGET TO GIVE THEM STICKERS!!!)  Sticker charts did NOT work for potty training my kiddo, so I'm thinking I need to wait a few years before trying charts again.

Tryshx
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:20 AM

This for our 5 year old.  Except his chart is a routine chart, it also has things like Take vitamins, Eat Dinner, Bathe, and Read a Bedtime story.  He gets a sticker after completing each task.  It helps both us and him keep to his routine.

Quoting HollyHawk333:

Put laundry in hamper
Brush teeth
Help make her bed.

MamaJane
by Jane on Jun. 8, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Quoting Gooberzilla:

Hmm.  I think it depends on your child.  In general sticker or chore charts are most effective with children older than 6, however I have known sticker charts to be very effective for younger children (about age 4) with regards to behavior.  Some kids just love getting the stickers, but others aren't interested in that just yet.  If you used sticker charts for potty training, then it will probably work for chores (use pictures instead of words, focus on only 1-3 "chores" they need to do, DO NOT FORGET TO GIVE THEM STICKERS!!!)  Sticker charts did NOT work for potty training my kiddo, so I'm thinking I need to wait a few years before trying charts again.

Yes.  You can try and it might be something they jump on the band wagon about or they may not care at all.  Also it is more work for you because you have to remember the stickers. That's something I failed terribly at!  So I made my kids (they are older but it could work for anyone) a responsibility list.  We don't check it off or put stickers on it, so I never have to make a new chart. They can look and see right what the are expected to do.  Heck for a tiny one, you could do pictures.  That would be fun!

wandep
by Platinum Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I would give it a shot!

wandep
by Platinum Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Get them going in the right direction early. :)

johnny4ever
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 9:10 AM

no

nickygsmommy
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:55 AM

That's what we did.  We made a routine sticker chart first with things like:

Morning - make your bed, get dressed, brush your hair, brush your teeth

Evening - eat dinner, pick up toys, brush teeth, put on pjs

Now that he's 5, we can just tell him to do his morning or evening routine. It's not even posted, but he knows it by heart. I never gave/give him chores other than clean your room (and it's more a command issued several times a day so it doesn't get out of hand).  I tend to be more an the stern side of parenting, but I'm a little different with chores. I ask if he wants to help with certain things rather than telling him he has to. My hope is that when he's older (and I mean responsible adult, not obnoxious teenager), he will remember doing things like dusting/vacuuming/mopping with mom as being fun instead of a chore he always hated and was forced to do. I've had to re-train myself because my mom made cleaning horrible, but I still enjoy the things she let me be her helper with (mainly laundry). Spraying stains on clothes actually puts a smile on my face because I remember playing "Is that a stain?" with my mom.

I suppose what I'm saying is that I would suggest encouraging your child to do the "chores" they enjoy rather than putting it on a chart and making it their responsibility at this point. I think the time for actual "chore charts" is when they are older and can really grasp things like accountability, responsibility to family, doing your part, having to do things you don't enjoy, etc. Of course some parents make kids do chores just because the parents don't want to do them, but I think most parents just want their kids to be prepared for the real world...

Quoting Tryshx:

This for our 5 year old.  Except his chart is a routine chart, it also has things like Take vitamins, Eat Dinner, Bathe, and Read a Bedtime story.  He gets a sticker after completing each task.  It helps both us and him keep to his routine.

Quoting HollyHawk333:

Put laundry in hamper
Brush teeth
Help make her bed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN