Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Have you ever caught your child getting into any medications or toxic substances?

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 4:19 AM
  • 4 Replies

Baby's Tragic Death Is a Frightening Reminder About Childproofing

Posted by Linda Sharps on June 27, 2012 

A couple days ago, the unthinkable happened to a young mother in Ohio. Just before midnight, Taylor Franklin, 19, stepped outside her apartment to smoke a cigarette, and when she came back in the house, she found a bottle of pills spilled on her kitchen floor -- and her 11-month-old son crawling nearby.

She screamed for help, and the baby was rushed to the Atrium Medical Center in Middletown, but doctors were unable to save him. The baby died shortly after 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, two weeks before his first birthday.

While investigators won't know for sure what killed the infant until laboratory tests are complete, the cause of death seems sadly obvious. Franklin's baby likely succumbed to a lethal overdose, and it's the kind of accident that reminds us all how quickly an innocent situation can turn turn into every parent's worst nightmare.

A police report says the medication may have been Nifedipine, a drug used to reduce blood pressure, which Franklin was reportedly taking to prevent early labor. A police officer reported he saw the pill bottle and noted it had a screw-on cap instead of the childproof variety.

Now, there are some elements of this story that sound a little unusual, to be sure. There's the mother's young age, combined with the fact that she also had a newborn and two other young toddlers in addition to the 11-month-old, which makes you wonder just how frazzled she was feeling that night (and was she pregnant again, or was the medication for the newborn's birth?). There's the question of where the medication was being stored, since Franklin told officers that the pills were on top of a microwave oven that was on a low table, but still they somehow ended up on the floor. There's also the confusing relationships between the people involved -- Franklin lives with her boyfriend, not the baby's father, yet the baby's father and another woman who calls herself the baby's stepmother were all there.

Still, regardless of the circumstances, the bottom line is that this was a terrible, terrible accident. When my children were little, I put all medications in a locked cabinet, but I can still imagine how easy it might be to forget about a recently-filled prescription, or to temporarily place it somewhere where I might have thought there was no way a baby could get to it.

It's a sad reminder that mobile babies get into everything, and they're capable of so much more than you imagine. They can open drawers, fish through purses, and climb tables in no time at all.

While it might be tempting to wonder what this mom did wrong, the real story is that this kind of thing could happen to anyone, unless the proper precautions are always followed to a T. In fact, according to the CDC, more than 60,000 children are taken to the emergency room every year as the result of getting into medications.

As a friend of Franklin said,

I feel so sad for her. I wish I could see her and make sure she is OK. She is a good mom. She is never in trouble. She does everything a mom is supposed to do.

I feel incredibly sad for her too. What an unspeakable price to pay for learning a lesson in childproofing.

Have you ever caught your child getting into any medications or toxic substances?

by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 4:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
johnny4ever
Report
Beautiful day!
Yesterday at 8:35 AM
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:43 AM

never

darci16
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:13 AM

same here

Quoting johnny4ever:

never


itsallabtthem84
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Not yet and I hope I don't ever either.

Poohy1975
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:37 PM

 Getting in to,no. My daughter won't take meds unless she knows she could die if she doesn't.She HATES meds. But when she was 8 months old i was giving my son his Clonidine. When i went to give it to him he hit the bottle out of my hand because he was mad at me and pills went everywhere. I did the made dash to pick them up.About 30 mins later i was cooking dinner when my daughter crawled into the kitchen. I looked down at her and she had two of the pills in her hand and was chewing. I took the pills from her and rushed her to the ER cause i already knew how dangerous that med was. Because it seemed like she had eaten two (she had actually only ate one.Found the other one later the next night) they had to pump her stomach.If they knew it was only one they could have just put her on a EKG machine,a IV with meds and watched her for 6 hours. Instead she got all that plus having to have her stomach pumped. After that i always took my son in his bathroom to give him his meds. That was a very scary day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)