Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

I had an unopened jug of detergent for baby clothing

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 4:35 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

And I decided to go ahead and use it in the general laundry. I am surprised how stiff the towels are- they aren't soft anymore.  I don't use fabric softener or f. s. sheets anyway. I'm guessing that there is something in non-baby detergent that softens clothes?

by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I don't know. I haven't used the baby detergent in years. :(

AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Not sure

northtexasmomma
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Most commercil (regular) detergents have softeners in them, which are totally chemical.  Baby detergents usually (but not always and hardly ever totally) tone down the chemcials so it makes sense that they would have far fewer or no softeners in them.

Wash/rinse the towels again with vinegar, a natural and cheap softener.  You should be ok.  Or, another option, dry in the dryer with a tennis ball or two to soften them back up.

And ps: I know you said you don't usesofteners or fabric sheets anyways, but for others reading and for more info for yourself, NEVER DO!!!!!  They are a real waste of money as they are nothin but terrible chemcial (that you breath in) that coat your clothes and make them less absorbant, thus less breathable and less likely to absorb (terrible for towels, bed sheets, wash clothes, work-out clothes, etc).  Think of the residues you are breathing in from these products!

MamaJane
by Jane on Jul. 17, 2012 at 8:59 AM

About 6 months ago I finally got brave enough to replace my softener with vinegar.  It took 2 months before my clothes started getting staticy.  2 months to rinse all that crap out of my clothes.  That was eye opening.  I actually went back to softener for a bit and now I'm back to vinegar.  I'm finding that some clothes are ok and some are stiff or stick together.  Of course I don't have a dryer at the moment so that makes a difference too. 

Quoting northtexasmomma:

Most commercil (regular) detergents have softeners in them, which are totally chemical.  Baby detergents usually (but not always and hardly ever totally) tone down the chemcials so it makes sense that they would have far fewer or no softeners in them.

Wash/rinse the towels again with vinegar, a natural and cheap softener.  You should be ok.  Or, another option, dry in the dryer with a tennis ball or two to soften them back up.

And ps: I know you said you don't usesofteners or fabric sheets anyways, but for others reading and for more info for yourself, NEVER DO!!!!!  They are a real waste of money as they are nothin but terrible chemcial (that you breath in) that coat your clothes and make them less absorbant, thus less breathable and less likely to absorb (terrible for towels, bed sheets, wash clothes, work-out clothes, etc).  Think of the residues you are breathing in from these products!

MamaJane
by Jane on Jul. 17, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Oh and Barb I also am still using my home made detergent and don't use softener.  I also am hanging things to dry right now.  My towels are still super soft.  They are actually better then normal.  But the kids towels are stiff as a board.  So are our hand towels.  So I wonder if the type of towel makes a difference.

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for the information.  I wondered about using vinegar, I need to do a laundry tomorrow and will try to remember to put vinegar in.

Quoting northtexasmomma:

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I think my towels are all cotton.  Maybe that's it.

Quoting MamaJane:

Oh and Barb I also am still using my home made detergent and don't use softener.  I also am hanging things to dry right now.  My towels are still super soft.  They are actually better then normal.  But the kids towels are stiff as a board.  So are our hand towels.  So I wonder if the type of towel makes a difference.

MamaJane
by Jane on Jul. 17, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I have no clue what mine are.  However I washed towels today and even my soft ones are starting to get stiff.  Are you hanging yours up?  I know you hang a lot.

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting MamaJane:

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Towels I dry in the dryer.  I am really surprised at how stiff they are.  Well I am almost done with the detergent and will go back to my usual. But tomorrow I hope to try the vinegar rinse method with the baby detergent.

Quoting MamaJane:

I have no clue what mine are.  However I washed towels today and even my soft ones are starting to get stiff.  Are you hanging yours up?  I know you hang a lot.

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting MamaJane:

northtexasmomma
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Static is just an absence of moisture in the air.  To prevent it, either don't dry your clothes as long, throw a damp wash cloth in the dryer towars the end of the timed drying to disperse a little moisture but keep the clothes dry, or when you pull the clothes out of the dryer, spritz with a little water from a water bottle.  All of these are working options.

Remember that product that you sprayed on panty hose or clothes that were full of static (popular in the 90s)?  It was nothing more than purified water and oils to hold the moisture towards the fabrics.

Quoting MamaJane:

About 6 months ago I finally got brave enough to replace my softener with vinegar.  It took 2 months before my clothes started getting staticy.  2 months to rinse all that crap out of my clothes.  That was eye opening.  I actually went back to softener for a bit and now I'm back to vinegar.  I'm finding that some clothes are ok and some are stiff or stick together.  Of course I don't have a dryer at the moment so that makes a difference too. 

Quoting northtexasmomma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN