Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

help needed!!!

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:13 AM
  • 19 Replies

please please tell me how in the world can i get mykids the maintain their rooms clean. they are a huge mess.
any tips? please!! thank you (: 

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
superm0m877
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:10 AM

How old are they? Different things work for different ages.

wandep
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:14 AM

For my son who is 8 years old we took everything out and cleaned it from top to bottom. They have a play room for their toys. He only has his leggos and some figures in his room now. We stay on top of him to get him to clean it. We remind him all the time. If he wants to watch his favorite show on Wednesday nights at 8 pm he has to have his room clean.

MamaJane
by Jane on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Make sure the organization is easy and makes sense to them.  If they don't know where things go then they won't put them away.  You may want to think about taking some things out.  An over abundance of toys will over whelm.  You can store away some and then rotate out.  It's like getting new toys every 6 months. Don't expect too much either.  A 4 year old is not going to clean it like you would clean it.  Around here we call it mommy clean.  lol

Dabberdoo
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Purge, make sure everything has a specific home and then their rooms have to be cleaned every morning before they eat.  

AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Chore charts

AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Reward system

AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Currently cleaning out their rooms to try and de-clutter, so it's easier for them to maintain.

darci16
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM

How old are they? If they are younger you may have to help them learn/teach them how to, you can't just tell them go clean your room, because they may not know how too. And once you have shown/helped them they will know how too, and they will know what you expect from them.  I like some of the other mom's idea's about storage/organization and purging. My ds is 10 and every now and then I have to remind him, my thing is the socks, I find them everywhere, lol.

TheRyan6
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM

It's just part of our bedtime routine. It starts with cleaning their room (which includes walking through the house and getting any items that have wandered out of their rooms during the day.) Then they get into their pj's, brush their teeth, comb their hair, story time, lights out.

pretty_miranda
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:01 PM

my kids are 4 & 6..they know how to clean because i usually make them..but i get frustrated because they take so long to do so..they start playing around rather than clean. so i just do it myself. but i really want to inforce it.

& yes they do have too much in their room. maybe i should re-organize & minimize the clutter 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN