Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Can you imagine ever falling for a scam like this one?

Posted by   + Show Post

Death Threats by Text Are Fooling Some Very Gullible People

Posted by Jacqueline Burt on July 25, 2012 

text Okay, here's a hypothetical situation for you: Let's say you get a text message from somebody you don't know. Let's say the text message says this: "Sum1 paid me to kill you. Get spared. 48 hours to pay $5,000. If you inform police or anybody death is promised. Email me now."

Would you: a.) Scream, drop your phone and call 911? b.) Immediately email the mysterious assassin with your credit card info? or c.) Laugh and delete the text?

Probably you chose "c." Am I right? Because obviously a cash-demanding death-threat-by-text is a scam. A scam which is apparently a huge problem right now in Australia, with authorities on high alert. But REALLY?! Who's gonna fall for something like this? I mean, remember the Nigerian prince email thing?!

Oh yeah. Remember the Nigerian prince email thing ...

And all the suckers who actually wired their life savings to someone anonymous person of dubious royal lineage? Who, in spite of presumably receiving the type of education that would come with royalty status, can't spell/type his way out of a paper bag?

Because people really did. (I saw them on Oprah. It was crazy!!) Which was very troubling to me, at the time, and the fact that people are reportedly falling for another, similar scheme troubles me as well. And I'm talking about functional, "normal" people, the type who know how to drive a car and make instant coffee and brush their teeth and yet ... have no grasp on reality.

I don't mean to be cruel or judgmental. We all have our gullible moments. Good thing for criminals, I guess.

Can you imagine ever falling for a scam like this one?

by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 5:17 AM
Replies (11-14):
myoldest1999
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM
There should be a law against gullible people and con artists reproducing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:04 AM
I would ignore the msg. I feel bad for the ppl who do get conned into those things. I work with eldery psychiatric patients, most with alzheimers and i know of about a handful that have sent their life savings to these scams, its awful
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darci16
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I don't like when someone comes to your door that you don't know, I will not open the door, dh thinks I'm being silly, I say I'm just being cautious!

Quoting MamaJane:

No but it would scar me half to death.  I get nervous when I get a wrong number or prank caller.

socalmommy13
by Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 4:56 PM
That sucks! No I wouldn't fall for it and I don't have that kind of money! Lol
That sucks!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)