Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

My MIL didn't refrigerate condiments

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:33 AM
  • 42 Replies

I was surprised to see ketchup, mustard, relish, all sitting in her cabinets. She did refrigerate mayo and butter. Do you refrigerate condiments?

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Yes!

Moms_Angels1960
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Many condiments do not have to be refrigerated. Ketchup and Mustard being 2 of them. 

My parents don't refrigerate Mayo and Butter either. I tell them all the time they should & it's no wonder they aren't sick yet.

But, yes I do.

tennisgal
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:04 PM

yes i do, but i don't think most have to be. restaurants don't for a lot of them.

i would think relish would need to be, but maybe not. 

tennisgal
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:05 PM

butter (actual butter) doesn't need to be b/c of the fat content (it's mostly fat), but lasts longer in the fridge is what i have gathered from various sites and books. like eggs (fresh eggs) don't have to be refrigerated but last longer in the cool. 

Quoting Moms_Angels1960:

Many condiments do not have to be refrigerated. Ketchup and Mustard being 2 of them. 

My parents don't refrigerate Mayo and Butter either. I tell them all the time they should & it's no wonder they aren't sick yet.

But, yes I do.

huntersmama711
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:06 PM
If they're open they go in the refrigerator
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Peechi81
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:13 PM
This

Quoting huntersmama711:

If they're open they go in the refrigerator
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emeraldmama7
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I refrigerate all of mine as well.  I used to even refrigerate my maple syrup and chocolate syrup, but hubby likes those better in the pantry.

kksmomma1019
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:31 PM
I refrigerate them all after opening.

I guess things like ketchup and mustard probably don't have to be since restaurants always have those sitting out. I know people who keep butter in their cabinets.
Simply_Janeen
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Uh yes, even syrup but then we get real maple syrup and it doesn't get thick unless it's been in the fridge. I mean, I may leave it in the cabinet until it's been opened but once it is, into the fridge it goes!

Moms_Angels1960
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Quoting tennisgal:

butter (actual butter) doesn't need to be b/c of the fat content (it's mostly fat), but lasts longer in the fridge is what i have gathered from various sites and books. like eggs (fresh eggs) don't have to be refrigerated but last longer in the cool. 

Quoting Moms_Angels1960:

But, yes I do.

Yep, you are correct about the butter also. It jusy melts sitting out I know at work we could leave it out but we don't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)