Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

My MIL didn't refrigerate condiments

Posted by   + Show Post

I was surprised to see ketchup, mustard, relish, all sitting in her cabinets. She did refrigerate mayo and butter. Do you refrigerate condiments?

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Replies (11-20):
momma2b2008
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Not ketchup and mustard. Everything else, yes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I have heard this about butter than it can be left out, but I just am afraid it would go rancid. True about restaurants leaving ketchup and mustard out.  I worry about things molding as much as anything and feel that I can keep them longer if they are refrigerated after being opened.

tazmidgiefairy
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Yes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Yes!

Nutmeg101
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 7:41 PM
I leave the butter out- other condiments are refrigerated- but only because hubby likes them that way.

Quoting Moms_Angels1960:

Quoting tennisgal:

butter (actual butter) doesn't need to be b/c of the fat content (it's mostly fat), but lasts longer in the fridge is what i have gathered from various sites and books. like eggs (fresh eggs) don't have to be refrigerated but last longer in the cool. 

Quoting Moms_Angels1960:

Many condiments do not have to be refrigerated. Ketchup and Mustard being 2 of them. 

My parents don't refrigerate Mayo and Butter either. I tell them all the time they should & it's no wonder they aren't sick yet.

But, yes I do.

Yep, you are correct about the butter also. It jusy melts sitting out I know at work we could leave it out but we don't.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Ew.  Yes I refrigerate.  My mom never refrigerated parmesan cheese.  I had no clue until Tom and I got married and he informed me.

ballerina.2006
by Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Yes and no. If I remember to put them in fridge I will, if not I don't worry. Mayo goes in the fridge and coconut oil stays in the cabinet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aj23
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

It depends on what the bottle says. If it says refrigerate after opening then I do but if not I don't.
The only exception is ketchup. Some brands don't say to refigerate but some do, I put it in there anyways because I like cold ketchup.

AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:23 AM
Yes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Yes! After a condiment is opened it goes in the refrigerator.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN