Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you feel less stressed when he helps out around the house?

Posted by   + Show Post

The Reason You Fight About Cleaning Revealed!

Posted by Heather Chaet

houseworkI like it when my husband and I are home after a long day of work. With the toys to pick up, dishes to do, it goes so much faster when we both pitch in and get it done. It actually makes me feel good, all warm and gooey inside, happier, calmer. Him? Not so much. And now, a study is out that explains this -- it says that women's stress levels go down to a healthy level when husbands are also helping with housework after a day of work.

Great, right? Not really. The study went on to say that men's stress levels went to a healthy level when they were relaxing and their wives were ... wait for it ... busy working. We fold laundry while they sit on their bums and their good, healthier, lower stress level occurs.

SO not fair, right? And this isn't just some guys telling a researcher how they felt. Nope, they got saliva of those surveyed, testing the actual levels of cortisol, that stress hormone-mabab. These are physiological results. This is the real thing. This is not good news.

I mean, we have all heard that decreasing stress in our lives is one of the main ways to stay healthy, ward off sickness, serious illness, have an all-around better life. If his laziness, him sitting on his tush while you pick up Tinker Toy #453 of the day is now proven to decrease his stress, ergo, his laziness is healthy for him ... well, then ... Houston, we have a big problem.

I don't need to stress (no pun intended) the seriousness of this issue. We have to keep this quiet, ladies. We have to keep this study between us girls. If he finds out, Housework Armageddon will happen ... really happen, not like that false mumbo-jumbo end of the world thing. This will be the end of your housework help as you know it. You will have no ground to stand on when arguing about cleaning and his lack of helping.

If he finds out this tidbit of info, the usual "ahem"-head nod combo you give him to come and help clean up the living room will be met with, "Remember what Dr. Leonard said! I have to knock down my stress. I'll be here watching Jeopardy and getting healthy. You want me around for years, right, hon?" And what are you supposed to say to that? 

Do you feel less stressed when he helps out around the house?

by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 7:24 AM
Replies (11-20):
xxMocahFrappxx
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Haha :0D!

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

Quoting xxMocahFrappxx:

No because I just have to go right behind him and do it the right way; showing him for the next time (Im not with that act-like-i-dont-know-how-to-do-things-so-you-wont-ask-me-to-help-anymore attitude.)

Lol this!! Except I sit down and tell him how thankful I am, while I'm really just stewing inside knowing that I'll redo it the next day hahaha, I gotta learn to let go of that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovemymarine18
by Sarah on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Ehhh. I enjoy when we work together on dishes or picking up toys...past that I'd rather do it myself, he works hard all day, I squeeze in cleaning all day, at night we just pick up and relax.
Plus, he does things wrong lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marie2409
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Woman watches man clean house, thinking to herself the whole time how she could do it better, nagging him about how he is doing it wrong. Heck I'd be stressed too if I was a guy.

My husband doesn't "help me". It's his house too, we take care of it together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Yes, he helps

Jenni_Lynne71
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:51 AM
Honestly? Cleaning is a big stress releiver for me so I don't mind doing it aside from when I'm extremely tired or not feeling welll, then he will help me. He picks up after himself tho...dishes in sink, dirty clothes in hamper, garbage in garbage, etc; but he likes things neat, just like me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gmadiane
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:43 AM

not really, I like to take care of the house, it is nice when every now and then he jumps in and offers to do something, he did do a load of laundry the other day and I appreciated it

nickygsmommy
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I *usually* take care of those things throughout the day during my breaks from work (WAHM).  I have morning, after lunch, and evening (more like late afternoon) routines that cover most of those things.  After dinner, there's only the dinner dishes to clean up.  Sometimes he does them for me, sometimes he doesn't, but it's not stressful.  I think my stress relief is in having the house BE clean rather than whether or not he's helping.  He works long days and commutes, so I'm sure it would be stressful to him if he had to spend his only down-time of the day (after dinner) helping me pick up...

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the last sentence  that we take care of it together. Alhough when I have been a SAHM I felt that his contribution to taking care of the house was his bringing in the money. 

Quoting marie2409:

Woman watches man clean house, thinking to herself the whole time how she could do it better, nagging him about how he is doing it wrong. Heck I'd be stressed too if I was a guy.

My husband doesn't "help me". It's his house too, we take care of it together.

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I enjoy when we work together on something. It is couple time.

Tryshx
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I get more stressed because he cleans by throwing everything away, and I don't need to worry about what's going into the trash can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)