Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Is there a down side to being clutter free?

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 1:19 PM
  • 125 Replies
2 moms liked this

When we moved to this house we gained 1400 square feet.  Not only did we not have the furniture to fill it, I didn't want to.  I was reveling in having more space and less stuff.  We once had a party and a guest told us we needed more stuff LOL  Who tells someone that?

Did our house seem cold and inviting?  What do you guys think?  Does less clutter mean less welcoming?  What do you do to create a warm AND clutter free space?

by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaJane
by Jane on Aug. 3, 2012 at 1:22 PM
3 moms liked this

For us, we did get more stuff eventually.  We replaced the old furniture with a new, matching set.  It's a dark leather and matches my Grandma's antique desk that's in here.  We arranged it so there's optimum floor space but it all faces in to invite conversation.  We keep all surfaces cleaned off to eliminate a busy and cluttered look.

myoldest1999
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 1:24 PM
5 moms liked this
Color ...warm and inviting color.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kool_Aide
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 1:24 PM
3 moms liked this
I have issues with empty rooms. But I also don't like clutter. I like space in each room. But space fillers in my opinion can be a plant, pictures. Etc.

Can we see pics?
Caitlin411
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 2:30 PM
3 moms liked this
I think the colors on the wall can help a lot. The last time I painted I went with bold colors and I definitely think it warmed our house up. I'm also into antiques and vintage furniture so my house has a one of a kind look to it. When I go into a house where all the furtiture is brand new, shiny and lacking character it feels like a hospital waiting room to me.

We're a clutter free house by necessity since the 6 of us are currently living in a house under 1400 sq ft. I have a fear that if we upgrade I won't be able to accomplish the inviting house we have now. I've wanted to upgrade for years but now that we're actually attempting the process it scares me to death thinking that my family will lose the closeness once we have the ability to spread out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovemymarine18
by Sarah on Aug. 3, 2012 at 3:07 PM
3 moms liked this
When my oldest was born some of my family came and visited. They told me I should be a decorator and wanted tips from me. I felt we had too much stuff! Lol
I like things cleared off with a few decorative things, usually a vase of flowers or I have a bowl of fake limes in my kitchen, and lots of pictures on the wall.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 3:10 PM
4 moms liked this

I have never had that problem, I never have enough room since we got this little girl.

chrisnjoesmom
by Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Growing up in a cluttered home all my life, honestly I love less stuff out.  But I do like a nice paint color on the walls and a little bit of artwork on the walls and of course, some furniture.  But I think it looks much nicer without a bunch of junk, photos, collectibles, etc, out.  

Moms_Angels1960
Do you ever just get tired of crap? I know I am feeling that way lately.
Thursday at 6:52 PM
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 3:44 PM

When we 1st moved into our home almost 8 yrs ago we moved into 3600 sq feet we didn't have a lot then we do now. I think somethings it was a blessing not to have so much stuff. Was it cold and uninviting I don't know I felt more at ease then maybe you did also.

It seems like the more space you have the more people say or do you want this it belonged to blah, blah, blah and you take it because it belonged to your grandparents or whoever.

I think wall color says inviting or univiting. I think bolder colors to me says I don't want you here warm browns, blues and yellows says I am open to having company.I think warmer colors are inviting and if I see that in someones home I think they are all cozy & warm fuzzy people.

Sometimes I think also that the shiner you have something the more it says I don't want you here. I have lots of antiques in my home and lots of things that were family members trying to say this is a family home.

I try to just keep things clutter free that doesn't always happen.

LindaClement
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

People whose homes are snowed under in stuff tell someone that.

I think wall decor, and signs of personality (colour, books, art, music, games) make a room look welcoming and warm... they can be tidy.

socalmommy13
by Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 4:20 PM
4 moms liked this
I love clutter free...it looks nice and is clean :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)