Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

I guess this counts as cleaning...??

Posted by   + Show Post

I posted this in another group but I'm posting it here too...

I'm a SAHM and I have trouble getting ready everyday.  I stay in my pajamas almost all day on some days.  I hardly do my makeup and hair, even when my SO is home.  I feel like I should be doing these things but I just can't push myself.  I mean, my mom and sister shower everyday, get makeup on, get dressed, do their hair, even if they have nothing planned for the day.  Why am I so careless?  How do I motivate myself?  TBH, some days I don't even shower, sometimes for 2-3 days ....... :(

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Replies (21-27):
Shlamoof
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Just force yourself.  Decide to do it an do it.  It sucks, but after you shower or even put your hair up and wash your face, you feel rejuvinated and better.  It's the getting started part that stinks.

And I am with PP, when I stay in my pj's, I get NOTHING done that I had planned, because in my head my day has not really started yet.  It just happens to be sunny outside and I happen to be awake, but the day is still in bed ;)

nickygsmommy
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Have you checked out FlyLady.net?  Great free advice for similar situations.  I know what you mean about taking daily showers being a chore.  I just hate having to blow dry and style my hair (it looks horrible if it air-dries).  I have a deal with myself.  As long as I still do my hair and make-up, I can shower every-other day.  I can shower and style one day, and then the next day I usually put it up in a cute ponytail.  It's also helped my skin and hair by not washing them everyday.  They aren't nearly as dry anymore!  I work from home, but it can be really easy to get in that "SAHM rut."  The thing to remember is that being a SAHM is you "job."  You should show up to it just like any other job, ready to get down to business.  You're also setting examples for your kids. Not to mention - it's nice to be able to answer your door to a random knock at 3pm not still wearing your robe... 

nickygsmommy
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I love the response when I get done up, too.  I have to admit, when I first started getting ready every day, I was kind of insulted when he would say, "You look nice! Where are you going today?" - until I realised - it was true - I only did my hair and make-up and put on "nice" clothes when I had to go somewhere...  It made me realise how selfish it was for me to look like crap all the time.  I want him to be happy he has a beautiful woman to come home to!

Quoting Caitlin411:

You're in a sahm rut. I've had many of those over my seven years of being at home. I agree with pp that said get up and make that bed and then jump in the shower so you can get a clean start to the day. I know when I actually put the effort in to getting ready for the day the first thing out of my husbands mouth when he gets home is "wow, you look great today" which makes me want to do it for him the next day as well.

The other thing that I found is that I was staying up way too late so in the morning when the kids woke me up I was already blah feeling because I felt like I was behind for the day. I now set my alarm as though I'm actually going to a job and that gives me a few uniterupted hours of getting the house ready for the day without the kids following me around.

MamaJane
by Jane on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:14 PM

How do you do with lists?  Make a list and make shower and dress the first thing on there.  You get to cross it off and you feel accomplished.

Caitlin411
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:50 PM
My husband just asks if we're having a hot date night.

Quoting nickygsmommy:

I love the response when I get done up, too.  I have to admit, when I first started getting ready every day, I was kind of insulted when he would say, "You look nice! Where are you going today?" - until I realised - it was true - I only did my hair and make-up and put on "nice" clothes when I had to go somewhere...  It made me realise how selfish it was for me to look like crap all the time.  I want him to be happy he has a beautiful woman to come home to!

Quoting Caitlin411:

You're in a sahm rut. I've had many of those over my seven years of being at home. I agree with pp that said get up and make that bed and then jump in the shower so you can get a clean start to the day. I know when I actually put the effort in to getting ready for the day the first thing out of my husbands mouth when he gets home is "wow, you look great today" which makes me want to do it for him the next day as well.

The other thing that I found is that I was staying up way too late so in the morning when the kids woke me up I was already blah feeling because I felt like I was behind for the day. I now set my alarm as though I'm actually going to a job and that gives me a few uniterupted hours of getting the house ready for the day without the kids following me around.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BShip2010
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I put it on my list but I just don't do it lol

Quoting MamaJane:

How do you do with lists?  Make a list and make shower and dress the first thing on there.  You get to cross it off and you feel accomplished.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Sewsofun
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:24 PM
I am a sahm and believe me I understand, but for me if I don't wash my face 3 times a day and shower everyday, I breakout. My husband works night's and sleeps till noon and if I don't take a shower and get dressed before he's awake its not happening. Also I've suffered from clinical depression since I was 15. Stop making excuses for yourself. The less you take care of yourself the less you respect yourself. Get up early so no ones waiting for you, or do it after your kid or kids are in bed and actually enjoy it. Trust me, I understand feeling like its a hassle but, if your little one needed a bath would you say its too much of a bother? No one is taking care of you anymore, take care of yourself!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN