Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Flea infestation....ahhh!

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM
  • 22 Replies

Help!  I know this sounds disgusting but my house is not dirty...I promise!   Kids let the dog in when I wasn't home and now we are infested with fleas!  I'm trying to get rid of them myself before investing in a carpet cleaning which is very expensive.   We have tried setting off bombs and spraying and they have helped but only temporarily.   I read online about using Borax and salt, sprinkling in on floors and furniture then vacuuming after several hours works.....any suggestions?  I will try anything!!!

by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluetick
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:48 PM
I would call a professional
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluetick
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:48 PM
Ps hope you get rid of them asap
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvMyBrennaBean
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

You just have to keep vacuuming, keep spreading the borax and other stuff on the carpets. It took us like 3 weeks to rid ourselves... bc we couldn't afford a professional. Empty the vacuum, or bag every time you vacuum, otherwise they can live in there. Get the pill from your vet to kill them off the dog (not nearly as expensive as an exterminator!)

FIREFOX1336
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:52 PM
Flea powder, move all furniture let sit vacuum then repowder and leave it there, of you vacuum daily repowder after you vacuum, wear socks around the house. Do this for a week or two. Bomb a couple more times, wait the amount box says between bombings get spray for your furniture and replace your vacuum. It takes a while and sucks. Been there. For hard floors don't mop for as long as possible after bombing.
Diamondg4u2cme
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM

get th flea controll pill it works much better. you are doing everything right. also fleas dont like lavendar, lemon grass or peppermint oils. bomb your house too. i just went through this and after the bomb and getting the pets on the pills it has been great! i also use lavendar or lemon grass oil in the mop water. i only have area rugs, i got the spray can flea stuff and spray every day once, till i notice no more fleas. good luck

jlp566
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Thanks!  I'm going home and trying everything

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 4:12 PM

We were only able to get rid of them by calling in an exterminator.  And we also used advantage on the cats.

la_bella_vita
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Good luck!

RADmomma
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:00 PM

we got them last year. we picked our dog up from family after our vacation and the poor thing was covered...

I sprinkled Borax in all the carpets & furniture, let it sit and vacuum it up...and repeated...

I gave her a flea bath a few times.

luckily we caught it quick and it wasnt too bad... otherwise we would have invested in a flea pill..

AzariahsMother
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:47 PM

http://homebuying.about.com/od/sellingahouse/qt/Getridoffleas.htm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)