Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Mom's with school kids.....

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 1:41 AM
  • 13 Replies
Give me some tips on making life go smoother durning the school year, DS is 5 and DD is 8 months.

Is there certain supplies we should stock up on?

What time is a good bedtime? (he hadn't been to school yet bedtime is normally around 9-9:30)

How can we keep him excited about school?

Anything helpful??

I'm freaking my baby is going to kindergarden! *Sniff Sniff*
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 1:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaJane
by Jane on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:10 AM

Is there certain supplies we should stock up on?  You will be given a list by his teacher on what he needs.  After you get an idea then in later years you can create a school supply drawer.  You buy things up when they are super cheap and then if you need more throughout the year, they are there.  Things I always have...crayons, colored pencils, markers, glue, spiral bound notebooks and pencils.  Last year I even saw a flash drive for like a buck.  I went ahead and picked it up and sure enough int he middle of the year my daughter washed her flash drive.  Luckily it worked enough to get her research paper off of it but she didn't trust it.  We just pulled the extra flash drive out and she transfered everything. 

What time is a good bedtime? (he hadn't been to school yet bedtime is normally around 9-9:30)
  My 8 yo goes at 8.  My 12 yo goes by 10.  They wake up at 6 am though. Some kids need more sleep.   My daughter gets up at 7 and we let her go to bed when she needs to.  She's always out by 11

How can we keep him excited about school? Be excited yourself!

Anything helpfulCreate good habits now.  good sleep habits, good morning habits (have everything ready the night before) and do homework as soon as he gets home.

Moms_Angels1960
Happy Birthday to ME!
Today at 7:53 AM
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Is there certain supplies we should stock up on?  You should be given a list then when you find supplies super cheap buy lots to help for the next year 

What time is a good bedtime? (he hadn't been to school yet bedtime is normally around 9-9:30)  My dd is 10 and I have never been able to get her to go to bed at a decent time she likes 9-10 but she gets up at 5 AM also. I would try to start now with a bedtime of 8-8:30 and get themn up a little earlier to help them adjust.

How can we keep him excited about school?  Be Excited help them learn, teach them lots yourself.

Anything helpful??  Enjoy this time as they grow up so fast. Try to get a routine down start now ghet up get dressed, get breakfast, grab the back pack & head out the door practice.

I'm freaking my baby is going to kindergarden! *Sniff Sniff*  It is tougher it seems on the parents than the kids be tough you can do it!

johnny4ever
Summer is flying by
Today at 8:02 AM
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:04 AM

My 9 year old knows bedtime is before 9 pm

wandep
by Pam on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:46 PM

My 6 and 8 year old atm have the same bedtime...8 pm. Usually if you go to Walmart or Target at least here they have the list already out for you in the schoool supply section of the store. Sometimes you can even go online if the school has a website and find it there. If not they will give it to you when go for orientation. Oh and just talk about them going to school daily and hopefully they will understand and ease into it.

My kids were nervous their first day and I found a site that is called..www.happyhomefairy.com. She has awesome ideas on her site about going back to school. Last year I did one off her site that was the back to school fairy...I decorated the house with balloons and streamers the night before school started. I also bought them a little gift and printed a sign off her site saying that the back to school fairy had visited them. They loved it and it made for an easy morning. I also had sprinkled glitter all over the house but that is a mess to clean up! We also had their favorite supper the night before and made a cake for dessert.

Oh well..good luck! :) I am sure your child will be fine on their first day of school. :)

navygf07
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Mine starts on September 4th...time sure does fly! I usually have my son in bed every nite by 8:30..by the time I am done reading it is almost 9..but for school sakes he may be in bed at 8 and then lights out at 8:30..he wakes up early in the mornings anyways so I never have an issue there...

Excited about school..yes my son is just that..he is getting stuff ready to go NOW lol..constantly talks about it...we are doing a lot of pretend school rite now..writing on his dry erase board and chalk board..letters, numbers, shapes..and easy spelling words.. 

navygf07
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I finally got the school list needed for supplies..I have mad crayons that will hopefully last all year...I like the idea about the supplies bin..I have stuff that he will proably use in 1st grade..Never hurts to have a stock pile of things...sorry I missed that part of my reply...

SnowWhieQueen
by Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 3:37 PM

my little kids(5 &10) go for school bed time around 8:30..my older ones(11& 12) around 9.....book bag is good to have lunch bag too...maybe stuff for home work at home other than that they don't need much for kindergarten,at least in our school...oh i have a book i read to my son and it helps its called The Night Before Kindergarten..i hope it helps...and don't worry i have 4 kids in school this year..

Caitlin411
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Quoting mamaof2mo:

Give me some tips on making life go smoother durning the school year, DS is 5 and DD is 8 months.

Is there certain supplies we should stock up on?

We have a homework box that has crayons, markers, scissors, glue, tape, a ruler, play money and counting chips.

My kids go to bed  by 8:00. Try a bedtime out a couple weeks before school starts and see how he is in the morning. If he's still tired then you know he needs to go to bed sooner.

How can we keep him excited about school?

I'm not sure about this one. I've been blessed with children that love school. I keep waiting for the year that they no longer get excited but it hasn't come yet.

Anything helpful??

Set up a paper system. Kids come home with a lot of papers throughout the year and it's esssential to have one spot where it all goes. Otherwise things will be lost and you'll be running in circles trying to find them.

I'm freaking my baby is going to kindergarden! *Sniff Sniff*

smile357
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:34 PM

We are trying things a little new this year. Homework gets done the moment he gets in the door. Bedtime is always 8 oclock. He's 11, but he really needs the sleep. Where school supplies are concerned I tend to buy them about now in the summer when their on sale. He's in 5th grade this year so things are different. For some reason we don't get the list so I wait until the first day and the teacher sends it home.

la_bella_vita
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I know my baby is going to kindergarten too!

Supplies-I got everything on the supply list

Bedtime-We are doing 8:00

Excited-My DD is BEYOND excited! lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)