Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning the Oven

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 4:56 PM
  • 19 Replies

I have a self-cleaning oven, but I hate using the feature because it smells awful and usually gives me a headache.  Plus, we have a small home, so it heats up the whole house...which in the summer isn't ideal.  However, I really need to clean the bottom of the oven.  Any suggestions? Would vinegar and baking soda get the job done?  Thanks in advance for the help!

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkHairMAMA
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 4:58 PM
I use easy off oven spray.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sapphire80
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I had always heard that using chemical oven cleaners in a self cleaning oven was a no, no.  I don't want to screw up the oven.  Is the easy off safe for self cleaning ovens?

wandep
feeling happy :)
Yesterday at 4:37 PM
by Pam on Aug. 9, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Sorry no clue! I would try the vinegar.

lovemymarine18
by Sarah on Aug. 9, 2012 at 6:35 PM
I would try the vinegar too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 6:49 PM
Easy Off fume free cleaner is safe to use for self-cleaning ovens. It says this on their website.

Quoting sapphire80:

I had always heard that using chemical oven cleaners in a self cleaning oven was a no, no.  I don't want to screw up the oven.  Is the easy off safe for self cleaning ovens?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sapphire80
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Awesome! Thank you! I am definitely going to see if I can find some.  

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

Easy Off fume free cleaner is safe to use for self-cleaning ovens. It says this on their website.

Quoting sapphire80:

ZakkarysMom
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM
Your welcome! I like it alot better than the smelly stuff.

Quoting sapphire80:

Awesome! Thank you! I am definitely going to see if I can find some.  

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

Quoting sapphire80:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Just baking soda works.  It takes a lot of elbow grease but it will get it shiney.  However, getting the baking soda rinsed out is a pita. 

MamaJane
by Jane on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Quoting lovemymarine18:

I would try the vinegar too.

I tried vinegar in mine...didn't go well.  It didn't take the baked on stuff off and it smelled awful with the combo of whatever oven smell there was.

BShip2010
by Brittany on Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I have honestly never cleaned my oven embarrassed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)