Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Making the most out of little kitchen space!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:49 AM
  • 19 Replies

I moved from a HUGE kitchen to a smaller kitchen.....I have so much stuff that I still can't unpack it all LOL  worst part is I have 4 drawers.  The 10 cabinets I do have....have no shelves in them (little diy project)

How do you make the most out of your kitchen space?

washing dishes

by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Do you have wall space or a pantry?

wandep
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Also, can you take a picture of your kitchen? That might help us out. :)

MommyBailey1
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I will most definetly post some pictures to help :)  I have limited wallspace and where a pantry would be is where my washer and dryer is....my husband and I are moving eventually to creat a pantry.

LindaClement
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 1:57 PM
3 moms liked this

Eliminate duplicates, and tools that do very specific tasks (when other tools can do that and 3 other things)... like apple peeler and corers. They're big, and it's all they do, while a knife and a peeler can do all kinds of different tasks.

Put seasonal stuff (like baking pans, serving platters, extra wine glasses or mugs, roasting pans, the multi-tool kitchen 'centre' mixer and food processor) where they can be mostly-storage rather than 'at hand' all the time, if you use them less often than a couple of times a month. Under the stairs, in an unused closet, in the basement 'pantry'... 

The first rule of effective organization is that whatever you use on a daily basis, should be the easiest to get to. If you use it weekly, it should be behind the daily stuff. If you use it monthly, it probably shouldn't even be in the room.

Plan menus and shop for only a week at a time. That will free up a lot of pantry and fridge space...

Refurbished
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I have the EXACT same problem, except I now have only two drawers.  I hope you get lots of good ideas in this thread.

johnny4ever
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Add a lazy susan...

johnny4ever
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Roll away cabinet

beethann
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:16 PM

you can get stackable wire shelves to put in the cupboards to add more space. We have those. I also have a tiny as hell kitchen!

schultzal
by Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Oy. I feel your pain. My current kitchen is the size of my former walk-in closet. We have two drawers, 5 cupboards, and a "pantry" shelf. We used to have a lot more space, and I can honestly say that my love of cooking has suffered since we moved into this place. I feel cramped and uninspired in this kitchen.

MommeisQueen
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Try a bakers rack. Even if there isn't room for one in the kitchen try a closet nearby, corner or garage. If you have to store it too far try to rotate the items you use most often or during the current season with closer storage space. Hope this makes since and helps. Good luck. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN