Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Is there some kind of trick to this?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:24 AM
  • 10 Replies

My DS 2 1/2, along with my cat, are obsessed with the mini blinds in my living room.  They love to play with them and in them.  Now they are all bent out of shape and look absolutely horrible.  I am planning on replacing them with curtains, but in the meantime does anyone know of a trick to straightening them out?  I can't stand the way they look to people passing by.

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by Pam on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I have no clue. There is one window where the cats like to sit and so I've just raised the blind almost half way up..its above their heads when they (cats) sit under it. Seems to work and they don't mess with it.

OneproudMomma87
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM

are they metal or plastic? metal ones you should some what be able to kind of bend them back by bending the opposite way, I leave blinds in reach open all day when home, close at night. goodluck

MamaJane
by Jane on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Not that I know of. Years ago I had that issue.  No I only buy the 1 inch slat ones.  They are much better looking, stronger and easier to clean.

Shlamoof
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM

The trick is to not have them.    But to straighten them in the meantime, I would just do my best to bend them back and shut them.  A great alternative is the fabric roman shades.  You can even make them out of old blinds :)

smile357
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM
2 moms liked this

We had the same problem years ago and we did two things. One was raise them half way up so they didn't get ruined. Two, when we forgot my husband would honestly just bend them back or take clear tape and tape them. Believe it or not it didn't look any different.

la_bella_vita
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:52 PM

No clue, drives me nuts having blinds with a dog, I had to get rid of the blinds....lol

Dogs + kids + blinds  = not easy!

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I wonder if it would help to raise them all the way up so that they are tight at the top, then wrap string or fabric around them to squeeze them together as much as possible.  After a few days, check to see if it helped?

LDavis33
by Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 4:11 PM

That's a great idea.  Definitely going to give it a try.  

Quoting Bmat:

I wonder if it would help to raise them all the way up so that they are tight at the top, then wrap string or fabric around them to squeeze them together as much as possible.  After a few days, check to see if it helped?

LDavis33
by Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I'm planning on replacing them as soon as I can with blackout curtains.  This window is 80" x 70" and is south facing, and the only place to put our T.V. is opposite this window.  I can't watch T.V. in the afternoon or evening because of the glare.  

Quoting Shlamoof:

The trick is to not have them.    But to straighten them in the meantime, I would just do my best to bend them back and shut them.  A great alternative is the fabric roman shades.  You can even make them out of old blinds :)

ballerina.2006
by Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 4:18 PM
I found that keeping them up about 4-6 inches helped with the cat issue. The kid issues I never figured out. We refused to put blinds in when we bought our house so we only had them when we rented.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)