Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When we no longer get free plastic grocery bags, what will you do for liners and garbage?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:25 PM
  • 58 Replies

When the small trash cans in my bedrooms and bathrooms fill up, I remove the trash in the plastic bag and line the cans with a fresh plastic grocery bag. When I have drippy icky garbage in the kitchen, it goes into a  plastic grocery bag and then into another plastic grocery bag where I put the day's trash from the kitchen. What will we do when the bags are discontinued - which seems to be going to happen and has happened some places already. I guess we wash and disinfect the trash cans frequently, but what about yucky meat trays, etc in the kitchen- I guess wrap them in newspaper? What do people do?

by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM
I cant help you there. I buy small trash bags for the bathroom trash and I'm a vegetarian so no nasty meat trays to worry about. I hate those plastic bags.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Discontinued, I didn't know that. Probably be as frustrated as I am now that they don't pick up all trash.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:39 PM

They do take up room in landfills and don't decompose. Some place have already discontinued them  What trash don't they pick up in your area. In ours we are encouraged to have a trash bin and a recycle bin.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Discontinued, I didn't know that. Probably be as frustrated as I am now that they don't pick up all trash.

Sisteract
by Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I live in a plastic bag free county. Good thing I have a large, reserved stash still on hand.

DawnPratt23
by Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 12:18 AM
In our area, we have a trash and recycle can. Our last area had bulk pick up. Old furniture, appliances were hauled off and properly disposed. Here you have to pay to have appliances hauled off by a private contractor, usually for a few hundred $$$.

So that is the main reason we won't retire here.

Quoting Bmat:

They do take up room in landfills and don't decompose. Some place have already discontinued them  What trash don't they pick up in your area. In ours we are encouraged to have a trash bin and a recycle bin.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 12:19 AM
They take up less room than millions of expired car seats, let's address that issue.

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moms_Angels1960
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 10:17 AM
2 moms liked this

I would suppose I will have to buy them then but mine don't go into the landfill as we burn trash so it's already decomposed I would say when it does finally get to the dump 2 times per year.

anotherandree
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM

This.  I already use the reusable bags at the grocery store.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I cant help you there. I buy small trash bags for the bathroom trash and I'm a vegetarian so no nasty meat trays to worry about. I hate those plastic bags.

mkh615
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Trader Joe's has brown paper bags that we use to line trashcans.

mbenit4
by Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Plastic bags don't look like they are going anywhere anytime soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)