Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

HEY YOU GUYS!!! *thoughts, ideas*

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM
  • 13 Replies

Okay ~ So I'm having this garage sale starting Thursday ....

I'm looking around at the TWENTY KAZILLION toys that my boys have (I have 4 boys born over the span of 8 years, so there are LOTS AND LOTS of toys) 

...and I'm wondering what a good system would be, or some kind of encouragement I could use to help them decide to "part" with even SOME of their toys? 

These guys have buckets and buckets of toys to the point where their whole play area (10X10) is covered in crates and buckets and toys. 

*sigh*

any ideas? anything you've done that's worked as far as encouraging your kids to part with toys?

Trish

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I would sort them into sizes and then price according.....like put them in a box with one price tag.

huntersmama711
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:28 PM
Maybe give them part of the profit?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
johnny4ever
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:45 PM

bump

lovemymarine18
by Sarah on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Maybe if they get rid of a good amount they can choose something new?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Bump, I've never done one

MamaJane
by Jane on Sep. 11, 2012 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this

We've done a keep 1 give one system before.  It was with stuffed animals but I'd think the same idea would work.  have them look over the toys and grab one they HAVE to keep and then they look over and get one they'd give away in order to keep that toy.

crzymmy5
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Quoting MamaJane:

We've done a keep 1 give one system before.  It was with stuffed animals but I'd think the same idea would work.  have them look over the toys and grab one they HAVE to keep and then they look over and get one they'd give away in order to keep that toy.

I think this might work with them :D  

thanks.

AzariahsMother
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I'm not really sure because I have never dealt with this before.  

Are there more toys they are attached to then the others?  Maybe departing with those they have really out grown first, and then maybe do where you give them 2 toys and pick 1.  Keep doing that over and over again until you get down to the amount your comfortable with.

mom2four1978
by Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I  took out the toys that i knew they had an emotional attachment to. Then when they were sleeping I took out all the stuff they hadn't played with in a long time. Then I told them they could keep 10 toys each. This includes any accessories that go with the toys. So like a race track and all the cars count as 1. It can be hard with more than one of the same sex because if they each have ten there are still a lot of toys. But its better that 20 each.

la_bella_vita
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)