Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Bathroom linen closet project

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello ladies!  We're finally getting around to tackling our linen closet.  It's located in the Master Bathroom and there was a bi-folding door, but it kept coming off the tracks and was very annoying.  DH & I decided to tear our the closet and finish it and paint it so it would just be a alcove/cubby in the bathroom.  

Once that was done I am going to buy this

and store all our towels, sheets and toiletries in that.  The issue is, I'm afraid I have too much stuff to fit in it neatly.  Besides sheets and towels (which I'm not concerned about we have first aid stuff, bath and body stuff, hair care products, makeup, etc, etc, etc.  I've been purging and I have space under our vanity cabinet for some of the stuff, but I don't know where to start.  Any suggestions?  What do you have in your bathroom vanity and linen closet? I feel like I have way to much stuff.

by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 3:04 PM
Replies (11-17):
not-the-momma
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Quoting blondepegasus:

Quoting not-the-momma:

Strangely, this house has a closet in the hallway but when I moved in with DH & his kids it was being used as a coat closet.  I hate it!  A coat closet should be downstairs near the foyer/door.  Yeah, we don't have one of those.

Anyway, I'm thinking about repurposing the upstairs hall (coat) closet into a linen closet so at least I won't have to store all the sheets in our bathrooms.  Both bathrooms upstairs (the master and the kids/guest bathrooms) have closets similar to the picture.  My issue is....what goes in the hall linen closet vs. the bathroom linen closets.  I would think towels need to stay in the bathrooms as well as toiletries.  Would first aid and other medical supplies be kept in the hall closet?  

Quoting blondepegasus:

I love that cabinet! I would never have room for my master bedroom bedding (ie-sheet sets, extra pillows and blankets, etc in my master bathroom, even though it has lots of storage. I keep the linens for all bedrooms in the dedicated linen closet in the hallway. It's situated so any of the bedrooms can access it with only a couple of steps from the bedroom door...very centrally located. If you have a general linen closet outside the master suite, you might utilize that. Also, I only have 2 sets of sheets for each bed, and one set is on them each at all times.

I keep all of my soft linens in the hall linen closet (sheet sets, blankets, extra pillows, etc. I keep things in each bathroom that will be used in that bath (tp, grooming supplies, products, etc.) and I do keep a set of towels/wash cloths/hand towels in the small master bath for dh and I (I roll them and put them on a shelf in the cabinet). I keep towels, wash cloths, and hand towels for the kids/guest bath in the hall linen closet.

It sounds like the upstairs closet being used for a coat closet was probably meant originally to be a linen closet. It would be a matter of removing the hanging bar and installing some inexpensive shelving. I actually have a hall coat closet as well as a linen closet but it is crazy far from the front door. I chose to store other things in it and bought an armoire that sits right next to the front door. It holds the family coats on one side with shoes underneath, has shelving on the other (when all my kids were at home they each had a shelf to themselves where they kept their backpacks, etc.), and the bottom drawer is where all the gloves, scarves, hats, etc. go. Here are some pics:

Hall linen closet - even have some extra toss pillows for the family room for when I get tired of the current ones...LOL

Master bathroom built-in storage cabinet. Also have a vanity with 1 cabinet  under sink and 4 drawers off to the side. The towels you see up top are the only ones I keep in here. 3 white for dh (he insists on white...lol and 3 gray for me). The washrags and handtowels are on bottom in gray stacker. DH has the bottom shelf next to stacker for his products and I have the next one up for mine.

Thanks!  This is very helpful!

It would be so wonderful to have a linen closet in the hall (as it should be ;-) ).  I guess the builders meant for it to be a linen closet, but since there are huge closets in each of the bathrooms, DH figured he'd just store all the sheets and towels in there instead.  And without a coat closet downstairs I suppose it seemed the only alternative at the time.     

I don't have any room to put an armoire in the "foyer" (more like a hallway off the front door), but we do have a coat tree off of the center hall where we keep all the currently used coats.  I'm thinking of putting an armoire type cabinet in the basement to store our off season coats.  

That being said, where to you store first aid and medical supplies (aspirin, antacid, thermometers, etc.)?

blondepegasus
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Quoting not-the-momma

Quoting blondepegasus:

Quoting not-the-momma:

Strangely, this house has a closet in the hallway but when I moved in with DH & his kids it was being used as a coat closet.  I hate it!  A coat closet should be downstairs near the foyer/door.  Yeah, we don't have one of those.

Anyway, I'm thinking about repurposing the upstairs hall (coat) closet into a linen closet so at least I won't have to store all the sheets in our bathrooms.  Both bathrooms upstairs (the master and the kids/guest bathrooms) have closets similar to the picture.  My issue is....what goes in the hall linen closet vs. the bathroom linen closets.  I would think towels need to stay in the bathrooms as well as toiletries.  Would first aid and other medical supplies be kept in the hall closet?  

Quoting blondepegasus:

I love that cabinet! I would never have room for my master bedroom bedding (ie-sheet sets, extra pillows and blankets, etc in my master bathroom, even though it has lots of storage. I keep the linens for all bedrooms in the dedicated linen closet in the hallway. It's situated so any of the bedrooms can access it with only a couple of steps from the bedroom door...very centrally located. If you have a general linen closet outside the master suite, you might utilize that. Also, I only have 2 sets of sheets for each bed, and one set is on them each at all times.

I keep all of my soft linens in the hall linen closet (sheet sets, blankets, extra pillows, etc. I keep things in each bathroom that will be used in that bath (tp, grooming supplies, products, etc.) and I do keep a set of towels/wash cloths/hand towels in the small master bath for dh and I (I roll them and put them on a shelf in the cabinet). I keep towels, wash cloths, and hand towels for the kids/guest bath in the hall linen closet.

It sounds like the upstairs closet being used for a coat closet was probably meant originally to be a linen closet. It would be a matter of removing the hanging bar and installing some inexpensive shelving. I actually have a hall coat closet as well as a linen closet but it is crazy far from the front door. I chose to store other things in it and bought an armoire that sits right next to the front door. It holds the family coats on one side with shoes underneath, has shelving on the other (when all my kids were at home they each had a shelf to themselves where they kept their backpacks, etc.), and the bottom drawer is where all the gloves, scarves, hats, etc. go. Here are some pics:

Hall linen closet - even have some extra toss pillows for the family room for when I get tired of the current ones...LOL

Master bathroom built-in storage cabinet. Also have a vanity with 1 cabinet  under sink and 4 drawers off to the side. The towels you see up top are the only ones I keep in here. 3 white for dh (he insists on white...lol and 3 gray for me). The washrags and handtowels are on bottom in gray stacker. DH has the bottom shelf next to stacker for his products and I have the next one up for mine.

It would be so wonderful to have a linen closet in the hall (as it should be ;-) ).  I guess the builders meant for it to be a linen closet, but since there are huge closets in each of the bathrooms, DH figured he'd just store all the sheets and towels in there instead.  And without a coat closet downstairs I suppose it seemed the only alternative at the time.     

I don't have any room to put an armoire in the "foyer" (more like a hallway off the front door), but we do have a coat tree off of the center hall where we keep all the currently used coats.  I'm thinking of putting an armoire type cabinet in the basement to store our off season coats.  

That being said, where to you store first aid and medical supplies (aspirin, antacid, thermometers, etc.)?

I store prescription and OTC medications, thermometers, measuring cups for meds, etc. on a dedicated shelf of a cabinet in the kitchen above the built-in desk. It's sort of set apart from the rest of the kitchen, but not...LOL

Things we don't need so often such as bandages, ace wraps, antibiotic ointments, etc. I store in the main bathroom in the medicine cabinet. Here are pics:

blondepegasus
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Quoting not-the-momma:

Quoting blondepegasus:

Quoting not-the-momma:

Quoting blondepegasus:

I keep oral medications, thermometer, measuring cups, etc. in the kitchen on a dedicated shelf in a cabinet over the desk. I have a basket of my own (on lots of prescription meds) and everyone else shares one. My refills are off to the right next to my basket and the general otc's are separate off to the left side.  I don't keep oral medications in the bathroom because the steam is bad for them. Plus, it makes sense to me to keep them in the kitchen because you give them with water, need spoons, etc. They are in the far left cabinet here:

I keep things such as bandages, bandaids, aces wraps, topical creams, etc. in the bathroom medicine cabinet.

not-the-momma
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Quoting blondepegasus:

Quoting not-the-momma:

Quoting blondepegasus:

I keep oral medications, thermometer, measuring cups, etc. in the kitchen on a dedicated shelf in a cabinet over the desk. I have a basket of my own (on lots of prescription meds) and everyone else shares one. My refills are off to the right next to my basket and the general otc's are separate off to the left side.  I don't keep oral medications in the bathroom because the steam is bad for them. Plus, it makes sense to me to keep them in the kitchen because you give them with water, need spoons, etc. They are in the far left cabinet here:

I keep things such as bandages, bandaids, aces wraps, topical creams, etc. in the bathroom medicine cabinet.

That makes sense.  We do keep some medications in the kitchen cabinets along with vitamins, antacids, and other misc. stuff.  We are also getting rid of the recessed medicine cabinet in the master bath so I no longer have that spot to store stuff.  I suppose I could put the first aid stuff in the new hall linen closet.  My Mom used to keep that stuff in a shoe box in our hall linen closet when I was a kid so it seems like the natural location.  Thanks!

Audreysmommy123
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM

well, think about how many sheets and linens you have to have.. i'd say minimize it to 4 adult and 2 kids

not-the-momma
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Quoting Audreysmommy123:

well, think about how many sheets and linens you have to have.. i'd say minimize it to 4 adult and 2 kids

I actually have 3 sheet sets for our bed, 4 queen sized sets guests (we have one queen sized bed and one queen sized air mattress, so 2 sets each), and 2 flannel and 2 cotton sets for each of the kids.  So a total of 15 which seems like a lot for a family of four, but not sure how to cut down except to get rid of 1 of ours.

As for towels, As you can see by the picture, DH & I have 8 bath towels all together, but I plan on purging the ones that are old and tattered. 

As for the kids, well that's another issue.  We try to have them reuse towels, but they both have long hair and like to use 2 (one for their body and one for their hair).  I was thinking maybe 4 each per week?  Does that sound right?

Audreysmommy123
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:10 PM

sounds awesome mama :)

Quoting not-the-momma:

Quoting Audreysmommy123:

I actually have 3 sheet sets for our bed, 4 queen sized sets guests (we have one queen sized bed and one queen sized air mattress, so 2 sets each), and 2 flannel and 2 cotton sets for each of the kids.  So a total of 15 which seems like a lot for a family of four, but not sure how to cut down except to get rid of 1 of ours.

As for towels, As you can see by the picture, DH & I have 8 bath towels all together, but I plan on purging the ones that are old and tattered. 

As for the kids, well that's another issue.  We try to have them reuse towels, but they both have long hair and like to use 2 (one for their body and one for their hair).  I was thinking maybe 4 each per week?  Does that sound right?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN