Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wondering if someone can help me with Time Management lol.

Okay, I'll try to make this quick. I work full time nights, from 3pm-11:30pm and my son's father works from 5:30am til 4:30pm. We both work Monday-Friday and I feel like i spend my wonderful only weekends...CLEANING lol.  My son's father btw doesn't exactly help me. (Gave up on asking him to a long time ago). 

This is my usual Monday- Friday Schedule and why im always exhausted. 

Every day... I get up with my son at 8am. I cook breakfast, Take care of any of his needs, (were working on potty training he's 3).  I make coffee for myself, and try to wake up. I pick up living room as much as I can, we have to be out the door by noonish, Me and my son bus to my moms because she babysits him until his fathers out. 

Then I make it to work by 3 (takes me an hour on bus's and a walk like  a half a mile aswell) Then I work from the 3-11:30pm,  I clean for GE Healthcare so it's also alot of walking lol. (By the way I lost 5 pounds woot) 

I get home around 11:45pm (son's father brings me home at least) but then im just dead tired and just want to relax. 

I feel like I spend all my weekends cleaning and was wondering if theres any ideas for time management through out the week for me lol. If anyone has any suggestions besides me getting my license... which i would love, but atm I can't see until i see an eye doctor lol. (Failed eye exams)  please let me know and thanks a bunch! 

Sorry this was kind of long :( 

by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 3:35 AM
Replies (11-15):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:18 AM

get a car, and you will have more time, or find a sitter for DS to come to your house.  

epilepsymom
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Totally agree with this!! When you ASK some one to do something you are giving them to oppurtunity to say NO.. So Instead asking "Do you want to take the trash out." Re word it to "Please take the trash out for me." That way you are not giving them the chance to say no.. You are telling them to do it..

Works with the 2 year old too.. Dont say "Do you want to pick up your toys for mommy." Instead re word it to "Please pick up your toys now." He has to do it. He doesnt have a chance to say NO

Quoting LindaClement:

I think the issue is the 'asking' part.

When you ask a 3yo 'do you want to put on your pjs?' someone is likely to say 'uh, gee, no, but thanks for asking.'

When you ask a man, 'can you blah blah blah'.... well you might as well have said it that way. Women 'get' that women mean 'this is an emergency in my head and you MUST DO IT RIGHT NOW!!!!' Men hear 'if you ever find time in your busy gaming, lazing around, sleeping and going pee schedule, if you could fit this in, no one would care much.'

Say, 'please do this for me now.'

It's ever so much more effective. And it's polite and non-naggy...

LindaClement
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM

That's a problem.

Since I insisted dh stop interrupting what I was doing to ask me to do something I didn't think was important, I've stopped interrupting what he thinks is important to do what I think is important.

Of course, I'm the driver, so the ER thing wouldn't have happened to me.

Have you read 'It's Mostly His Fault'? Great book.

Quoting xxxTrishy518xxx:

yeah, Hes a very hard headed guy. Like anything I nicely ask, its always "After this game". for an example recently, i have an infection going from my wisdom tooth into my jaw... i had to wait for his game to be over for him to take me to the ER over the weeekend.... but thats okay because i got back and broke his stupid game. no sleep and lots of pain.. make me alot more angry especially when he wasn't helping me with our son and stuff.  but somethings are just out of line, ya know? 

Quoting LindaClement:

I think the issue is the 'asking' part.

When you ask a 3yo 'do you want to put on your pjs?' someone is likely to say 'uh, gee, no, but thanks for asking.'

When you ask a man, 'can you blah blah blah'.... well you might as well have said it that way. Women 'get' that women mean 'this is an emergency in my head and you MUST DO IT RIGHT NOW!!!!' Men hear 'if you ever find time in your busy gaming, lazing around, sleeping and going pee schedule, if you could fit this in, no one would care much.'

Say, 'please do this for me now.'

It's ever so much more effective. And it's polite and non-naggy...

afkitty
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 6:51 AM

I have a crazy schedule as well, but I have a strict morning and evening schedule that I have to stick to in order to get ANYTHING done.  My kids are not toddlers (15, 7, 6) so I have it somewhat easier than you do!  I base my cleaning schedule on the zone concept where you spend a little time every day cleaning in a specific zone, the zone changes every week.  Check out the FlyLady (http://www.flylady.net/).  Maybe you can tailor a schedule that at least helps a bit.

In the long run though, you can only do so much.  Hit the stuff that bugs you the most and don't worry so much about the rest.  Your baby will only be 3 once!! 

Good luck!

xxxTrishy518xxx
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Thanks everyone, Started a bit different today, Woke up at 8am with my DS, made his breakfast and got him to pee (in the toilet for once and not on it lol) so While he was eating, I picked up all the clothes in the bathroom and put em in their hampers (I have 3 seperate ones lol) and swept my floor up ect. I did all this while my coffee was perking lol. 

About 10am, I let richy watch Sesame street on PBS in the living room so I can take all his toys n put em back in his toybox n made his bed. 

10:30am I did the dishes (I don't have a dishwasher) and started load of laundry

11am, Laundry went into dryer, my son was bathed and dressed (me too) and i took him for a walk to the store with me then was at my moms by like 1pm and it went nice lol. 

it's 1:16am now i got home from work about a hour ago, im just doing another load of laundry and picking up odds and ends before bed lol.   I didn't do to much but hey it's a start lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)