Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Uncluttering!!!!!!! HELP ME!

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:06 AM
  • 14 Replies

Okay Ladies, i moved into my father in laws house a few years ago. It is a nice house. It has tile floors(huge pain to clean and i dont really know how to clean tile floors) and it is super cluttered! IDK where to begin to get this house clean. I have 3 kids and its almost impossible to baby proof this place...i need help! How do i unclutter and make my house look nice for cheap and in a timely fashion?!!!

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JJJMommyKris
by Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I would make lists and break the to-do up into something manageable, like 1 hour a day. I have heard flylady.com is good but I haven't done it myself yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bcbmami
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erienne06
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:53 AM
I agree with flylady.net the lists are broken down to fifteen minutes a day for one room so you don't feel overwhelmed and you accomplish a lot in a month's time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
superwoman8977
by Trace on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Steam mops work great on tile floors.  I have wood and tile in my house and my Shark Steam Mop cleans them all. 

AzariahsMother
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I would start with 1 room at a time at this point. 

HaileysMom07180
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:54 AM

1 room at a time, perhaps sell stuff on craigs list to get a little extra cash for the organizers

LindaClement
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Boxes.

Put most of the stuff you don't use every week into boxes. Then put the boxes away... somewhere else: garage, crawlspace, attic, storage unit, thrift store...

funkycat
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I too was helped by Flylady's system! I occasionally need to refresh and re-train my self, but over all have found it to be very helpful! Also my IPOD helps me when I clean, garden and to daily chores.(Down side story: My neighbor thought I was hurt because I was "Singing without hearing myself through the earphones. He said I was wailing, kind of.)As for storage: baskets and bins and vacuum bags and under the bed storage has helped me so much. I have yard sailed and thrift shopped to get shelving units for my baskets and bins. So I have "contained clutter". I'm in the process of re-arranging how I use my home, since I have a costumming / sewing studio in my home, to support my profession. I have lots of fabric and supplies to deal with. (Confession: Close to hoarding, a professional temptation)I had  extra sets of hollow core bifold closet doors and put them up as shelves over the tops of my interior doors to get storage off the surfases of my work space in each bedroom, and my work shop. I got the brackets at The Habbitat For Humanity, Re-store for cheap! I do not have tile floors, but know several friends that do. They each use a steam cleaner, over the traditional mop or swiffer like systems.They do have to swep first.I hope this was helpful!

epilepsymom
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:49 AM

LOVE fly lady's system!!

Also start with a small area.. every item you pick up ask your self "What use do I have for this? Have I used it recently Do I see a use for it in the near future?" Those questions usually help me decide what to keep or donate

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I pretty much do this. A few times I have given away things that I later regretted though. Although probably a lot more that I haven't missed.

Quoting epilepsymom:

Also start with a small area.. every item you pick up ask your self "What use do I have for this? Have I used it recently Do I see a use for it in the near future?" Those questions usually help me decide what to keep or donate

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)