Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Speaking of having company, please tell me about hostess gifts?

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:33 AM
  • 20 Replies

When do you bring one?  Before or after your visit?  What do you bring?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:38 AM

always bring a hostess gift with you to the party.  it depends on what kind of party it is but a nice bottle of wine or dessert is usually good.  hostess gifts are usally small tokens of appreciation. candles, etc

almostthere55
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Depending on if it is a get together with dear friends are your husbands boss.  If you know them well, get them a little something that you know they like.  Or bring a dessert.  If it is someone you do not know well, I would bring a good bottle of wine.  If you know what they are serving, you can bring wine that goes with the meal.  Wine is always my go to, but whatever you choose, it does not need to be expensive.  It is the thought that counts.

crzymmy5
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM

If I don't know someone ~ I take a bottle of  wine.

If I do know them ~ I take what they love. I have one girlfriend who knows I'm going to be bringing her Godiva (and she expects it LOL) and I have some friends that I try to come up with something unique for, and my sister knows that I'm bringing her favorite wine. 

My hubs' signature gift to give is locally brewed beer ~ and in exchange, he almost always is given the same when we host a dinner party.

It's not something to stress about ~ it's just a little something to say "thanks". If your host/hostess has any class at all, they'll just be happy that you thought of them :D

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:47 AM

When I am invited someplace, I always ask what I can bring.  Is bringing whatever I am told the same as a hostess gift? or should I bring it and also a gift?

mommybug77
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:49 AM
I never take anything nor do I want anything. If it's wine it would end up in trash.
Bmat
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:04 AM

When I want to take wine, I always ask if they like wine. Some don't.

Quoting mommybug77:

I never take anything nor do I want anything. If it's wine it would end up in trash.

mommybug77
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Quoting Bmat:
that is fine. The problem becomes when people don't ask or know. We never serve wine with dinner and we don't drink it. Unless you took it home with you we would throw it away.
MamaJane
by Jane on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I always bring food to a party, either a dish or something grab and go like cookies.  We don't do long term stays at anyone but my sister and neither one of us do gifts.  My other sister and niece do though and it opened my eyes to that.  I wasn't brought up that way (we only stayed at families house and what you did was bring food) so I never knew this tradition.  I need to rememeber that.

Oh and when someone brings a hostess gift do you send a thank you note or is telling them thankyou enough?

MamaJane
by Jane on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Quoting Bmat:

When I am invited someplace, I always ask what I can bring.  Is bringing whatever I am told the same as a hostess gift? or should I bring it and also a gift?

Personally I think that's sufficient.  I'm always in casual settings.  If I brought a gift every time I went to a party at my neighbors, I'd be broke and they'd wonder why the heck I was bringing them gifts lol.

MamaJane
by Jane on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Oh goodness can you be my friend?  LOL

Quoting crzymmy5:

If I don't know someone ~ I take a bottle of  wine.

If I do know them ~ I take what they love. I have one girlfriend who knows I'm going to be bringing her Godiva (and she expects it LOL) and I have some friends that I try to come up with something unique for, and my sister knows that I'm bringing her favorite wine. 

My hubs' signature gift to give is locally brewed beer ~ and in exchange, he almost always is given the same when we host a dinner party.

It's not something to stress about ~ it's just a little something to say "thanks". If your host/hostess has any class at all, they'll just be happy that you thought of them :D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)