Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Speaking of having company, please tell me about hostess gifts?

Posted by   + Show Post

When do you bring one?  Before or after your visit?  What do you bring?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Replies (11-20):
Bmat
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM

A thank you is adequate.

Quoting MamaJane:

I always bring food to a party, either a dish or something grab and go like cookies.  We don't do long term stays at anyone but my sister and neither one of us do gifts.  My other sister and niece do though and it opened my eyes to that.  I wasn't brought up that way (we only stayed at families house and what you did was bring food) so I never knew this tradition.  I need to rememeber that.

Oh and when someone brings a hostess gift do you send a thank you note or is telling them thankyou enough?

beanielips
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:23 AM

While I wouldn't throw wine away... I totally agree with you!  If you are hosting somehting, you should never expect someone to bring you a gift.  Are you kidding me?

Now, the flip side of that, I live in a rural place.  If I invited someone from the larger town, I might ask if they can bring something that I can't get my hands on here.  But typically, they ask if there was something that they could bring.  And on the other side of that, I always ask if there is somehting that I can bring.  If they say nothing, then it is just us and the kids.  I have one friend that would be totally offended if I brought something... anything!

Quoting mommybug77:

I never take anything nor do I want anything. If it's wine it would end up in trash.

mommybug77
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting beanielips:

I am not going to hold on to wine that will not get used. I have teens in the house so I don't keep alcohol just laying around. My girls have never touched it but I wouldn't want to worry about their friends trying to sneak it. I also try to not keep random clutter on hand.
beanielips
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Oh, I don't blame you! I was just saying that I would be drinking it :) I love wine!

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting beanielips:

I am not going to hold on to wine that will not get used. I have teens in the house so I don't keep alcohol just laying around. My girls have never touched it but I wouldn't want to worry about their friends trying to sneak it. I also try to not keep random clutter on hand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Quoting beanielips:

wine and champagne gives me headaches and hives.
crzymmy5
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM

absolutely LOL .... 

Quoting MamaJane:

Oh goodness can you be my friend?  LOL

Quoting crzymmy5:

If I don't know someone ~ I take a bottle of  wine.

If I do know them ~ I take what they love. I have one girlfriend who knows I'm going to be bringing her Godiva (and she expects it LOL) and I have some friends that I try to come up with something unique for, and my sister knows that I'm bringing her favorite wine. 

My hubs' signature gift to give is locally brewed beer ~ and in exchange, he almost always is given the same when we host a dinner party.

It's not something to stress about ~ it's just a little something to say "thanks". If your host/hostess has any class at all, they'll just be happy that you thought of them :D

Trish

beanielips
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I have to be careful with that too.  The first time I had wine was in Italy.  They use a different process and it doesn't bother me.  Some winces make me look like I was slapped across the face... multiple times, and I itch like crazy.  But there are some that don't bother me at all.  My dad tells me it has something to do with sulfites.  Who knows.  But when I can find wines that don't bother me, OH YUM!

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting beanielips:

wine and champagne gives me headaches and hives.

JTriches
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I usually send the item ahead of time if I am staying overnight .  If its just a visit you cann bring it with you

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Ahead of time instead of after?

Quoting JTriches:

I usually send the item ahead of time if I am staying overnight .  If its just a visit you cann bring it with you

extremelibrary
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Just ask them if you can bring something. If they say yes, then ask what do they want you to bring.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)