Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

how to get kids to help cleaning

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:08 PM
  • 21 Replies

my kids b*tch and moan about helping.

It takes them FOREVER, to pick up one room, literally, I could leave them in a room all day, and it will not be finished by the end of the day. (And it wasn't that messy to begin with!)

What we have been doing is while one is in the shower, the other big kid ( with help from the 3 yr old) picks up the living room, and they alternate who goes first.

But for example, right now, they were coloring at the table, one is still coloring, I told them to clean it up, and ds says "but I am still coloring", I said " that is fine, but they can clean up their mess. Clean it up please"

I went down to work on diaper laundry and come up and yo gabba gabba is on, and the table is still a mess.

I am one of those internal perfectionists, I need things neat and tidy, and a certain way, but if I do it, and then it gets messed up once or twice, I give up and become depressed, because "what is the point? It is never going to stay the way I want it"

I NEED to get DH and the kids on board while I am still in this cleaning phase, but I don't know how, and I don't want to do it in such a way that they really fight me.

Mommy of FIVE!!!

Tara~12.16.03  Zachary~5.17.05  Rowan~1.17.09  Willow~8/10/11 Baby~ EDA 1/27/13

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaoftwo
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:16 PM

BUMP!

mommaoftwo
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:26 PM

For example They are eating lunch, I told them that when they are done eating they need to put their plates in the dishwasher, and wipe down the table.

My DS asks "why do we need to put our plates away and wipe the table?"

Really?! REALLY? you need to ASK why you need to not leave your plate on the table??

I simply said " because your plate doesn't belong on the table and there are crumbs on the table

lovemymarine18
by Sarah on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:45 PM
I dunno, my oldest is 2 so he likes helping. I find that he does better if we work together.
How old are your kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Age is a big factor and its a constant thing. My kids will be doing great and the. Hit an age when they slack off again. You just have to keep reminding. And you have to change your expectations. You can't expect a 5 yo to do the same as an 8 yo or an 8 yo to do the same that mom would. Start with the small tasks and be specific. 'When you are done with that page please pick up the crayons and put them away. You may have to come back later and give the next task.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:01 PM
As for the dishes, explain family and how it works when everyone pitches in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goodnightmama
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:08 PM
A few years back I read a book called sidetracked home executives. I used their system and after I got used to the system I brought my husband and kids on board. My kids have their own boxes with their own chore cards in it. They live having chore cards just like mommy and are now reminding me that they still have chores to do. They are almost 7, 5, and 4. Their chore cards mainly consist of getting dressed, brushing teeth, picking up toys, making beds, and anything that deals with their room. I help when they need help but it is no longer a fight with cleaning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaoftwo
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:09 PM

almost 9, 7.5, 3 and 1

Quoting lovemymarine18:

I dunno, my oldest is 2 so he likes helping. I find that he does better if we work together.
How old are your kids?

Mommy of FIVE!!!

Tara~12.16.03  Zachary~5.17.05  Rowan~1.17.09  Willow~8/10/11 Baby~ EDA 1/27/13

lexipooh78
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:33 PM

DS just turned 2 and loves to help so even though it takes longer I encourage him and cheer him on while he does things.  I am a bit of a neat freak so sometimes while he naps I will fix a few things but I have learned to let some things go. He also already has chores that he does everyday. While I am fixing lunch and washes the dinner dishes he picks up all his toys and every morning he makes his bed. He also feeds the dog her dry food and checks her water for me.

I used to be a nanny for 2 kids who where 4 and 8. They never ever had to clean up after themselves but that wasn't going to fly with me. I was their nanny not their maid. The really resisted me at first but them I turned it into a game. I would start a stop watch and we would run around and pick up the playroom as fast as they could then take turns racing over to stop the clock. We kept track of the time and tried to beat the time everyday.  After a while the older one realized that they could have a faster time if it wasn't as messy so he got the little one to help pick up after themselves so it never really got as messy.

Maybe you could do something like that. Sort of make it into a game.

karingT
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like my house. Sometimes I look forward to the kids growing up and moving out. I figure then I could keep a clean house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovemymarine18
by Sarah on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:30 PM
I would guess they need direction and help. They're still little.

Quoting mommaoftwo:

almost 9, 7.5, 3 and 1

Quoting lovemymarine18:

How old are your kids?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)