Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

how to get kids to help cleaning

Posted by   + Show Post

my kids b*tch and moan about helping.

It takes them FOREVER, to pick up one room, literally, I could leave them in a room all day, and it will not be finished by the end of the day. (And it wasn't that messy to begin with!)

What we have been doing is while one is in the shower, the other big kid ( with help from the 3 yr old) picks up the living room, and they alternate who goes first.

But for example, right now, they were coloring at the table, one is still coloring, I told them to clean it up, and ds says "but I am still coloring", I said " that is fine, but they can clean up their mess. Clean it up please"

I went down to work on diaper laundry and come up and yo gabba gabba is on, and the table is still a mess.

I am one of those internal perfectionists, I need things neat and tidy, and a certain way, but if I do it, and then it gets messed up once or twice, I give up and become depressed, because "what is the point? It is never going to stay the way I want it"

I NEED to get DH and the kids on board while I am still in this cleaning phase, but I don't know how, and I don't want to do it in such a way that they really fight me.

Mommy of FIVE!!!

Tara~12.16.03  Zachary~5.17.05  Rowan~1.17.09  Willow~8/10/11 Baby~ EDA 1/27/13

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Replies (21-21):
epilepsymom
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Ok I have some suggestions.. I deal with this with my daughter ALL the time.. Finally I did something.. I turned it into a game.. I set the timer for  15  minutes.. When that timer goes off I bag up what ever was left and she loses it.. I had a meeting with her and told her thats what I was going to do.. I also turn her favorite CD on while she is cleaning up. Helps motivate her.. ALSO for every minute that she beats the timer by she gets that much extra DS time...

Also if I tell her to pick some thing up and set the timer and she does nothing then she loses the TV immediately and the DS.. YOu dont pick up your mess you dont watch your cartoons or play your ds... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)