Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Figure by the time I'm done, we'll have almost nothing in this apartment...

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM
  • 18 Replies

I think I have posted on here before about the issues we have had with bugs, namely roaches. We are in a 6 apartment complex and we live on the second floor. The apartments on the first floor have had them really bad and it's been an issue here for close to a year. What happens when you rent from a slumlord. He FINALLY had someone come in and we're getting a second treatment done on Tuesday. In the meantime, because of the bugs, we have so far had to throw out the electric tea kettle, the microwave (actually that went next door because their microwave went ZAP, probably due to the bugs in it), the couch (didn't see any bugs but we're pretty sure we had mice living in it), the livingroom TV (DH picked it up the other day to clean and found a good number crawling in and out of it), and now the trunk we had that was holding the TV (only had a comforter in it but it had a lot of bugs!

DH has been putting things in boxes cleaning out the cupboards. The plan is to store some stuff in the locker. The girls' clothes (in totes), toys (also in totes), basically anything we're not using is going to go into a storage locker. It sucks but I think it's the only option we have right now to make sure the bugs are gone. We're basically going to be living in a very sparely furnished apartment. It sucks but what can you do? I just wish the landlord had done something sooner and I wish we could move but DH has made some horrible financial decisions and now we're likely not going to be able to move. So yeah, that's what we're having to do right now. Like I said, it really sucks because we're basically having to empty our place out because of the bugs. And our apartment doesn't even have the worst of the infestation. It's even worse in the lower apartments like I said though the one directly below us probably isn't doing too badly because no one has been living in it for a good two or three months now.

by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
woliung8153
by Sarah on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:54 PM
i am sorry you are going through this
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Nov. 5, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Ditto *hugs* :(

Quoting woliung8153:

i am sorry you are going through this

timslilangel
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I know what you are going through. we had to do the same thing about 3 years ago. **big hugs**

epilepsymom
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Im so sorry... I know it doesnt matter how clean you are if there are roaches in the building it will have to be treated properly to get rid of the roaches.. I feel for you.. Hopefully the Roach problem is cleared up fast

MamaJane
by Jane on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:26 AM
Oh gosh how horrible!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
etsmom
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Wow, that's terrible! I had to deal with that when I lived in Hawaii. Some places are more suseptable to roaches.We kept Geckoes in our apartment and they went crazy for the roaches. We just kept a little dish of water on the counter and they pretty much ate the roaches at night.  The slept in a dark quiet place during the day like behind my mirror, during the day.

You could try making a trap for them by rubbing vaseline on the inside rim of a jar and putting a piece of fresh apple in the bottom. Put the jar in a place that you are getting raoches a alot and check it in the morning. Your landlord should fumigate the whole building and then seal in the crack around every unit.  I am sorry you are going through all this.

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:05 AM

How awful and frustrating!  All of the places have to be treated at the same time.

darci16
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

That is terrible! That landlord should be ashamedof himself and made to live there and see how it feels. Also, couldn't you maybe go to the health department and make a complaint against him, because I would think that is a health hazard or go to the city or county where you live. I know here in Vegas I've seen things like that on the news about landlords not taking care of the buildings and being forced to clean them up and get fined for letting it go. Just an idea. In the meantime I think what you and dh are doing is what is best for your family at the moment, even though it is a pain.

Simply_Janeen
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Oh, totally agree but he's got all kinds of excuses as to why it hasn't been taken care of. What's really sad is that I DID call the health department and they sent someone over (even though they needed more than one call from the building). The guy came, looked around our apartment, then went to the basement and since he didn't see any other roaches (even though one of the neighbors said it was SO bad down there that they were falling on her when she went into the basement), said it was our responsibility to deal with them. This landlord is facing some major bad press right now because a month or so ago, an apartment floor collaspsed with 50 people in the apartment. Some people were hurt seriously enough to have to be checked out at the hospital. The apartment was NOT supposed to be rented out as an apartment. This guy is a slumlord and I wish we had the money to move out but DH has been making some very bad financial decisions of late so, we're stuck.

Quoting darci16:

That is terrible! That landlord should be ashamedof himself and made to live there and see how it feels. Also, couldn't you maybe go to the health department and make a complaint against him, because I would think that is a health hazard or go to the city or county where you live. I know here in Vegas I've seen things like that on the news about landlords not taking care of the buildings and being forced to clean them up and get fined for letting it go. Just an idea. In the meantime I think what you and dh are doing is what is best for your family at the moment, even though it is a pain.

autiemama516
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Hugs to you. In our last apartment we had mice.We killed about 20 per day and the landlord wouldn't do squat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)