Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Figure by the time I'm done, we'll have almost nothing in this apartment...

Posted by   + Show Post

I think I have posted on here before about the issues we have had with bugs, namely roaches. We are in a 6 apartment complex and we live on the second floor. The apartments on the first floor have had them really bad and it's been an issue here for close to a year. What happens when you rent from a slumlord. He FINALLY had someone come in and we're getting a second treatment done on Tuesday. In the meantime, because of the bugs, we have so far had to throw out the electric tea kettle, the microwave (actually that went next door because their microwave went ZAP, probably due to the bugs in it), the couch (didn't see any bugs but we're pretty sure we had mice living in it), the livingroom TV (DH picked it up the other day to clean and found a good number crawling in and out of it), and now the trunk we had that was holding the TV (only had a comforter in it but it had a lot of bugs!

DH has been putting things in boxes cleaning out the cupboards. The plan is to store some stuff in the locker. The girls' clothes (in totes), toys (also in totes), basically anything we're not using is going to go into a storage locker. It sucks but I think it's the only option we have right now to make sure the bugs are gone. We're basically going to be living in a very sparely furnished apartment. It sucks but what can you do? I just wish the landlord had done something sooner and I wish we could move but DH has made some horrible financial decisions and now we're likely not going to be able to move. So yeah, that's what we're having to do right now. Like I said, it really sucks because we're basically having to empty our place out because of the bugs. And our apartment doesn't even have the worst of the infestation. It's even worse in the lower apartments like I said though the one directly below us probably isn't doing too badly because no one has been living in it for a good two or three months now.

by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Replies (11-18):
Simply_Janeen
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Yeah, we have some of those too but I'm used to mice. Most places I have lived in have had mice. Roaches though are another ball game altogether. I mean, you usually don't see mice on your counters while you're cooking, you know? They were getting that bad here. It's gotten a lot better now that we've had an exterminator come in but we're still seeing some. He'll be back again though to do baits and stuff, has to spray the first couple of times though to knock down the population. Thing is, I don't know how effective that's going to be when they're likely in the appliances. Landlord really should have done more when they first showed up instead of trying to bug bomb but he's cheap and lazy.

Quoting autiemama516:

Hugs to you. In our last apartment we had mice.We killed about 20 per day and the landlord wouldn't do squat.

mrspena
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 9:05 AM
I've never had to deal with roaches (knock on wood) but we have moisture ants BAD in our apt. They had an exterminator come out and I was able to talk to him about what treatments I could use and what products actually work. Maybe you could try that. It sucks it would have to come out of your pocket but atleast you wouldn't be waisting your money. Ex. I didn't know that raid for regular ants is worthless.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
autiemama516
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Quoting Simply_Janeen:

Yeah, we have some of those too but I'm used to mice. Most places I have lived in have had mice. Roaches though are another ball game altogether. I mean, you usually don't see mice on your counters while you're cooking, you know? They were getting that bad here. It's gotten a lot better now that we've had an exterminator come in but we're still seeing some. He'll be back again though to do baits and stuff, has to spray the first couple of times though to knock down the population. Thing is, I don't know how effective that's going to be when they're likely in the appliances. Landlord really should have done more when they first showed up instead of trying to bug bomb but he's cheap and lazy.

Quoting autiemama516:

Hugs to you. In our last apartment we had mice.We killed about 20 per day and the landlord wouldn't do squat.

I hope the landlord has done more by now! That is awful to see them while you are cooking. Keep me updated!

lynettemommie4
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 2:52 PM

hows the situation? Ive dealt with roaches before in an apt then when we moved to our house. they tagged along. took me almost a year to get rid of those nasty things. UGH! hope the roaches go away!

Simply_Janeen
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Still see some here and there but not as bad as before. Helps that we threw out a few things that seemed to be roach hideaways. Hopefully the numbers will continue to go down. I'm sure it the cold weather will help (kill any that are outside or in the basement) as well as the fact that the apartment directly below has been vacent for a few months now because the landlord is renovating it. I think they even ripped out all the old counters and stuff which will probably help quite a bit in getting rid of any that were down there. I know that apartment was really bad with them. Now if the other downstairs apartments would get taken care of, that would really help. One of them especially has a lot of pets and things and they're really have issues with the bugs. Even worse, the last time the exterminator was here, he wasn't able to do that apartment because the animals were still there. It's one reason I don't keep pets; I know they tend to attract pests and it makes it that much harder to get rid of them.

LuvUSoMuch
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:33 PM

surprisedGood God!!! Were they inside your home???!

Quoting autiemama516:

aj23
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:51 PM
I hate roaches. When I bought my house there were some here and even an exterminator couldn't get rid of them.
I ended up getting this stuff called Advion and used it every night for a week and I haven't seen a roach here since and its been 2 years. The clean up from it was a huge mess though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Simply_Janeen
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Yeah, depending on where you live they can be really hard to get rid of. I guess in the south it is especially difficult. I'm still seeing some but nowhere naer the number as before so I'm hoping that this will be it. I'm sure it will help that the apartment directly below me is getting completely redone so any bugs that are in there should be near wiped out which means not as many to come up here.

Sad but it could be worse. I gave away a bunch of toys my youngest grew out of to a family who went out of town for a week and came back to a MASSIVE roach infestation. They basically had to throw out everything they owned. I guess the upstairs neighbor had them and when they left town, the population quickly went out of control and covered EVERYTHING! We haven't had them anywhere near that bad. We've had to throw out some things, yes, but mostly electroncics and things like that (stuff they can actually get IN to) and mostly stuff that's been in either the livingroom or kitchen. So I try to stay positive and be grateful that it's not as bad as it could be. Still sucks though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)