Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

what to do about sentimental things

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 8:43 AM
  • 5 Replies

hi my name is tammy and i am new to the group, so far i don't believe i have posted much if at al but have read a lot of the ladies posts and learned a lot from them, so thank you so much.

i do however have a question and i don't think i have seen this ever asked or addressed so i will ask it as i do have this issue and don't know how to resolve it.

question:  what do you ladies do with sentimental objects for example the ones that are passed down from family members?  maybe they are antique etc. and have been in the family for years..... ???????

i ask this because i do have items like this and when the time comes (god forbid) i will be a ton more.  i am unsure how to handle them in reference to display, what to keep, what to sell etc.  i just don't know how to choose i feel obligated to keep it all because that is what every other person has done and passed it on to the next generation.  BUT i just don't want all this "stuff" on display in my home all the time even though it is very pretty and most very very expensive.  for example my mother has dishes that are valued at 300.00 per place setting and she has a 16 person setting not to mention the "goodies" like creamers, candle sticks you name it that go with it. 

i guess i could use some really good advice on this issue.  UGH!

by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MamaJane
by Jane on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

First off...I'll take the dishes! LOL

There are a couple of ways to go about this...

Go through all of it and see what has personal meaning to you.  If it doesn't then it goes.  You can designate a display area and when that area is full, that's it.  You can either store the rest and rotate it out, or just sell it.  Make sure there isn't another family member who would want to hold on to something.

darci16
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with Jane about rotating it and if you don't like it, seeing if other family members would like something and then sell it if no one wants it. That way no one can come back and ask what happened with such and such. It's hard to let go of things, but you will feel so much freer when it's gone.

Moms_Angels1960
Do you ever just get tired of crap? I know I am feeling that way lately.
Yesterday at 6:52 PM
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Some things I think you just need to know if you have that much of a personal attachment to them or not. The dishes as far as I am concerned I would hang onto. Or Like Mama Jane said I'll take them. I would ask other famioly members if they would like those items as well as maybe your kids for the future.

Some things for me I really don't wanyt crowding my house yet they will never be replaced I deal with them. Like my MIL's doll collection. They meant alot to her and we inherited alot of them when she passed. I will never get rid of them I will padd them to our grandduaghters and dd's and DIL's.

Just set them out ask each famioly member what they remember about such item then decide from there.

mamalusbear
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I keep the items around the house that have special memories for me....ones that are personal.  Other antiques and family heirlooms, if I can't use them I'll usually ask immediate family if they would have a use for it.  If nobody is interested and I don't have room for it then I'd either sell it or donate the item, someone will use it.

brittonJ
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I would keep one thing for each of your children. Take a picture of the rest. Sell it.at the end of the day, it is just stuff.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)