Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you deal with all the stuff that doesn't have a home? I have all this random stuff that keeps getting moved from one horizontal surface to another. I get stressed out when I try to organize because I don't know where to put everything. How do you handle it?

by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:27 PM
Replies (11-16):
funkycat
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I had removed a 4 section bifold set of doors from a closet. I used these 13" doors as high shelves that set above the door and closet frames with shelf brackets. I put things in bins and baskets. Since they were above the doors I made labels for each bin and basket and put a ring or loop on each, so I could pull them out and tilted down just enough to grab them easily.This was for my bedroom I used for a home sewing studio, but will work for many other rooms and uses.Since I do costumes, I have a lot of odd random stuff to store.I'm doing the same above my bed wall to store out of season clothes &blankets. I will cover the cardboard boxes with paint,  fabric or wall paper or matt board framed art and / or photos so they are attractive. There is enough wall space right under the shelf, to do a row of small-ish photos, like 5x7 & 8x10's, and not get knocked down when making the bed. Produce boxes that have the deep lids that overlap the sides of the inside container part of the box are a good size and very strong.They can be doubled for extra heavy duity use, or nest them when all of them are not in use. Donating and doing a swap with friends also help to thin the stuff. I'm in the midst of swaping my rooms to re-purpose them,so I'm deep into this. 

Caitlin411
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 6:51 PM

It depends what kind of stuff you're talking about. Paperwork and all that has a system set up so it's never floating around but always in a file or backpack. Actual things either get a home or they go out of the house. Less is more. 

blondepegasus
by Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM
I think one of the most important things is to create/designate a spot for everything. Medicine goes here. Loose change goes here. Remotest go here. Bills to be paid go here. Rubber bands. Pens. Junk mail. Papers that require action (kids' school permission slips, things that need to be filed, forms that need filled out and mailed, etc.). Newspapers and magazines I still want to read, catalogs I want to keep, random screws, lighters, business catds, items you want to donate, etc. Once you establish a home for each and every item that regularly piles up and have that place firmly in mind, it becomes as simple as putting everything away in its home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:40 AM

If it doesn't have a specific home, you may want to get rid of it.

shygrl3cccm
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:45 AM
A storage bin ... And if not there Salvation Army and I get a receipt for taxes!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:55 PM

3/4 of the stuff in my house doesn't have a home.

Shuffle it around has been my answer so far... the floor in my office gets a lot of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)