Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Desperately need giant toy box w/compartments

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:52 AM
  • 13 Replies
Hello ladies! I didn't know where else to ask this question because I thought there was a shopping/deals group but I can't find it. My son is 15 months old and he has so many freakin toys that our living room literally looks like a daycare. Please hold the bashing about how dumb it was/is for SO and I to buy him so many unnecessary things. It's our first kid and we had the money so we spent it. Now that he has enough toys to last until he's 5, we haven't purchased anything that he doesn't actually NEED. That's why for Christmas were buying him a giant toy box or some kind of storage for everything. He has a toy box in his room with most of his smaller toys like cArs, puzzles, planes, etc and he's also got a bookshelf filled with tons n tons of different kinds of books. So the type of storage we need is for larger toys like bigger cars, big plastic jugs of building blocks and Legos, bigger puzzles, his Tupperware, balls, pull toys, push toys, electronic toys like his guitars/drum/xylophone etc. my little brother had an awesome shelving system when he was young from Ikea that had three rows with 5 colored plastic bins in each row and he kept all his toys in there. I wishhhh we could find something similar to that but on a larger scale. We need a BIG toy box. All his big stuff is in the climbing gym box in a corner of our living room now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaJane
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM
They still have those shelving units but not bigger. You probably know that lol. Anyway I'd do a shelf system or bookcase type deal. The Legos and electronics will be a pain thrown in a toy box. Big trucks and stuffed animals work in a toy box. I normally do bins from the storage isle instead of bins made for toys.
Amanda52007
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:27 PM
We use bins from the storage aisle. The see thru ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovemymarine18
by Sarah on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:39 PM
Yep, storage bins, not toy ones. We have several sizes for different sets of toys.
timslilangel
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:05 PM

we just put all the toys in the closet.

Sewsofun
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:45 AM
My son is 5 so this might not work for you but we tool three of those shallow under the bed type storage containers, left off the lids and I made homemade picture labels they slide out from under his bed so easily (built in wheels) plus a book shelf, and a dress up area (hulk and superman) and a big bin for puzzles and games
2DsMommy1112
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 7:30 PM
I have a huge clear bin from walmart and then a few small bins for cars etc
JeremysMom
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I like this one because it has shelfs of different sizes including one large shelf/box on the bottom.

I love this one because it's more neutral and can be used for several years.

You can always buy two if need be.

chrisnjoesmom
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 12:44 PM

We had that wood organizer with the colored boxes but I hated it and it was ugly so I dont reccommend that. Maybe that wood cube with the fabric boxes, at least for the smaller stuff in the living room?  I would get rid of some stuff or put it away and swap it out every once in a while so he will play with it again. 

xxshelbyxxx
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 8:08 AM
That's what we do do with his toys, we leave a few out at a time and switch em out every week or so. But the toys that aren't being used at the time start bulging out of the box they're in and we also have piles of toys on our shelves which aren't meant for toys but meant for OUR decor.. And I agree the color drawers aren't cute for an adult space but it won't bother me too bad because I'd rather have the toys out of sight then all over the living room.

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

We had that wood organizer with the colored boxes but I hated it and it was ugly so I dont reccommend that. Maybe that wood cube with the fabric boxes, at least for the smaller stuff in the living room?  I would get rid of some stuff or put it away and swap it out every once in a while so he will play with it again. 

xxshelbyxxx
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 8:09 AM
Oooh I love both of these but do they have any non spider man ones?

Quoting JeremysMom:

I like this one because it has shelfs of different sizes including one large shelf/box on the bottom.

I love this one because it's more neutral and can be used for several years.

You can always buy two if need be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)