Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do? (storage/donate/...?)

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:52 PM
  • 16 Replies

My mother has a habit of passing along stuff that she's held onto for years!  Either for me or my dd.  Recently she gave me the bedspread I had on my full size bed as a child - it's a hideous greenish gold with a horse(?) print.  She thought we could use it on my dd's bed - but dd is currently in a toddler bed - the bedspread is a full and due to the size of dd's bedroom, she'll be getting a twin size bed when she moves up. 

Should I hold onto the bedspread until dd eventually gets a full size bed?  Should I toss/donate it?  I realize I should be keeping some stuff to pass on to my dd, but do I need to rent a storage unit to keep it?  I don't want to hurt her feelings when she gives us stuff, but I feel like the things she's giving me are not worth making room for in my smaller house...

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Caitlin411
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:43 PM

My mom does the same thing. She forms an attachment to stuff from when we were kids and I could care less about the majority of what she has kept.

My personal opinion is that if it means nothing to you don't keep it. I do have some sentimental stuff like my barbies and what not that I introduce to my kids once they hit the appropriate age. I always tell my mom it's my stuff so she can't be offended by what I do with it. 

Don't let anyone guilt you into keeping something you don't want or feel you need. I just think of what my moms house looks like and keeping "memories" is not something I'm interested in if my hosue is going to start looking like a hoarders zone. 

KRIZZ25
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM
depends on u ..
GotSomeKids
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I say donate it.  You could always get a new one when the time comes, especially if you don't have a lot of room.

Bmat
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Sometimes full spreads will also work on twins, but since you don't like it anyway, tell her that it is too big and maybe she'd like to give it to someone else?

ShellLee68
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 7:50 AM
this absolutely. i don't have that problem with my mother. my husband does that to me though. I would get rid of it and not say anything.

Quoting Caitlin411:

My mom does the same thing. She forms an attachment to stuff from when we were kids and I could care less about the majority of what she has kept.

My personal opinion is that if it means nothing to you don't keep it. I do have some sentimental stuff like my barbies and what not that I introduce to my kids once they hit the appropriate age. I always tell my mom it's my stuff so she can't be offended by what I do with it. 

Don't let anyone guilt you into keeping something you don't want or feel you need. I just think of what my moms house looks like and keeping "memories" is not something I'm interested in if my hosue is going to start looking like a hoarders zone. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
_Mrs.H_
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 9:10 AM

If you have no attachment or don't plan on using it.  I would offer it back.  If she doesn't want it then donate it.

Amanda52007
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Don't keep it.

The fact that you called it hideous tells me that A. you can't believe you used it when you were little, B. you think it's ugly, even as an adult, and C. you probably won't use it for your daughter when her beds big enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondepegasus
by Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:39 PM
I never give back anything my mom gives me, even if I don't want it. It's so hard for her to get rid of stuff! She's not exactly a hoarder but...

She just made the statement yesterday that when gives a gift, she doesn't care what the recipient does with it whether it be use it, throw it away, or give it away. That made me feel okay about getting rid of some stuff she's given me over the years that I'd held onto due to guilt about getting rid of it.

I like the advice someone gave me to take a picture of keepsakes you want rid of, then go ahead and get rid of them. Pictures on a memory stick or in an album sure do take up less room!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Moms_Angels1960
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 10:38 AM

If you don't think you are ever going to use it donate it. Chances are she'll never realize it until later on since dd isn't getting a full bed right now anyway.

funkycat
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Donate it to a homelss shelter or youth shelter or animal shelter. They can give you a thank you letter and recipt of donation for taxes in her name. You can include a personal note & thank you that explains how the quilt will be loved and put to good use now, instead of being stored away and possibly never used.

Another thought, Keep the horse side as is and re-size it for the twin bed, & recover the back with some design your child likes. The horse could be on the underside.

As for the other things like stuffed animals toys... you can put them into a deep shadow box. I took the stuffing out making room for a picture of me at the age I was when I used them. The toys and the un-stuffed animals on a backing of dress material I wore. It was a great sucess!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)