Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Laundry soap and other recipes...

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM
  • 20 Replies

So I've recently hit a very big financial hardship and I'm going on a financial cleanse so to speak. DH works hard to provide for us and I am a SAHM by circumstance (current location, lack of daycare funds, & mainly lack of transportation due to DH's need of the one car in his incredibly varied work schedule). Anyway, I've made it my "job" so to speak to go hard or go home when it comes to saving for the fam. I've implemented meal planning starting a month ago and have thus far saved over $100 in groceries just by going over our local ads and coupons from the grocery store (Sunday paper is expensive for the amount of coupons I find that I actually USE from it, so we stopped that)
My new mission is to start saving on household items, starting with cleaning supplies. I am looking for a good laundry soap recipe that people have had tried and true experience with. I do live in an apartment and do my laundry once a week at the laundromat as it's actually cheaper than the coin-op machines in our basement. I did find one recipe that intrigues me and I will post it just to make this initial read a little shorter lol. But I'm also loking for other cleaning recipes that you've tried and work well for you. I usually get my cleaning supplies from the $ store as it's cheaper, but along with cheaper seems to come more abrasive chemicals to my countertops as well as my lungs. I am NOT a fan of vinegar, but I realize that if it's ultimately cheaper, I will make the gag reflex sacrifice for the good of our bank account.

thank you ladies.

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eevers55
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this

The hardest part is now over and all that’s left is to mix everything together. I used a very large bucket that I got from my Father-in-Law and took a layering approach to mix it easier. I took a small amount of each ingredient and layered it on top of each other, then I grabbed a large mixing spoon and mixed it together. I did this probably 5 times but it was so much easier than dumping all the ingredients in at once and then trying to mix it well.
This batch makes A TON! Now for probably the best part…you only need 1-2 Tablespoons per load depending on the size…I’ll give you some time to re-read that since I’m sure your in total disbelief…recover yet? That’s right, you only need 1-2 Tablespoons per load! Now here comes the stroke of genius, if you opted to put the Purex Crystals in your batch, you can scoop the detergent right into your bottle and use the cap as your measuring spoon. There are 3 lines on the side and the middle one is approximately 2 Tablespoons…genius right?

Artillwife01
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:06 PM
2 moms liked this

you get over the vinegar smell I hate vinegar but it cleans better than anything I have every used and I mix with water in a spray bottle so it's so cheap it's crazy.

I use

2cups fels naptha soap (grated)

1 cup washing soda

1 cup borax

for my detergent and it gets our clothes cleaner than anything I have used before.

I ordered from buythecase.net and got 2 years worth of laundry soap for $173 including shipping. There are 6 of us so that amount would last longer for smaller families. It ends up at just over $7 a month for us.

lucaslexie
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:08 PM
We use this and love it!!! 6 cent a load who can beat that!!!

Quoting eevers55:

The
hardest part is now over and all that’s left is to mix everything
together. I used a very large bucket that I got from my Father-in-Law
and took a layering approach to mix it easier. I took a small amount of
each ingredient and layered it on top of each other, then I grabbed a
large mixing spoon and mixed it together. I did this probably 5 times
but it was so much easier than dumping all the ingredients in at once
and then trying to mix it well.
This batch makes A TON! Now for probably the best part…you only need 1-2
Tablespoons per load depending on the size…I’ll give you some time to
re-read that since I’m sure your in total disbelief…recover yet? That’s
right, you only need 1-2 Tablespoons per load! Now here comes the stroke
of genius, if you opted to put the Purex Crystals in your batch, you
can scoop the detergent right into your bottle and use the cap as your
measuring spoon. There are 3 lines on the side and the middle one is
approximately 2 Tablespoons…genius right?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bloodytears1986
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:02 PM

BUMP. Gonna try this!

Quoting eevers55:

The hardest part is now over and all that’s left is to mix everything together. I used a very large bucket that I got from my Father-in-Law and took a layering approach to mix it easier. I took a small amount of each ingredient and layered it on top of each other, then I grabbed a large mixing spoon and mixed it together. I did this probably 5 times but it was so much easier than dumping all the ingredients in at once and then trying to mix it well.
This batch makes A TON! Now for probably the best part…you only need 1-2 Tablespoons per load depending on the size…I’ll give you some time to re-read that since I’m sure your in total disbelief…recover yet? That’s right, you only need 1-2 Tablespoons per load! Now here comes the stroke of genius, if you opted to put the Purex Crystals in your batch, you can scoop the detergent right into your bottle and use the cap as your measuring spoon. There are 3 lines on the side and the middle one is approximately 2 Tablespoons…genius right?

moonlitnitz
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Bump so gonna try this
Shellness
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I am in love with the vinegar for cleaning. I read on a website where you can put yor lemon peels in the vinegar to give it a fresh lemon scent. Try that. I also clean my floors with hydrogen peroxide mixed with water. About a cup per gallon I think. I have one of those mops where you fill the container up thats hooked to the mop so I just use about a 1/4 cup and fill the container. I have all big white tiles in my house and all of the commerical cleaners left a film on the tiles. The tiles werent as white as they should be. I love love love the job that the peroxide does. Baking soda is good for a scouring agent, espeically on pans when mixed with the peroxide.

Shellness
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:35 PM

lots of people use dilute bleach to clean with

bloodytears1986
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Just tried the home made detergent you just posted and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Thanks so much for posting!

Quoting eevers55:

KRIZZ25
i love my black men ,my rocker dudes but the only ones the love me back are babies ,old mean ..can we meet in the middle .
Today at 5:20 PM
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:40 PM
i have used dish soap..or gotten dolor soap
HollyHawk333
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this
This is the reciep I use and it works amazing on my clothes and seems to keep them from fading. As far as cleaning products I use baking soda, apple vinegar (it smells better than regular and is the same price), peroxide, and dawn dish soap. That's it. A mix of apple vinegar and dawn soap with hot water is my floor cleaner. I spray it down and go over it with a steam mop(I'm sure a regular mop would work too) vinegar and water is my all over cleaner but if I need more scrubbing or whitening power and sprinkle baking soda down and scrub.

Quoting eevers55:

The
hardest part is now over and all that’s left is to mix everything
together. I used a very large bucket that I got from my Father-in-Law
and took a layering approach to mix it easier. I took a small amount of
each ingredient and layered it on top of each other, then I grabbed a
large mixing spoon and mixed it together. I did this probably 5 times
but it was so much easier than dumping all the ingredients in at once
and then trying to mix it well.
This batch makes A TON! Now for probably the best part…you only need 1-2
Tablespoons per load depending on the size…I’ll give you some time to
re-read that since I’m sure your in total disbelief…recover yet? That’s
right, you only need 1-2 Tablespoons per load! Now here comes the stroke
of genius, if you opted to put the Purex Crystals in your batch, you
can scoop the detergent right into your bottle and use the cap as your
measuring spoon. There are 3 lines on the side and the middle one is
approximately 2 Tablespoons…genius right?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)