Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The flu has hit. How do I stop it from spreading?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM
  • 22 Replies

Well, my 3 year old has the flu (at least I am 90% sure that it's the flu).  He's currently lying in my bed with some gingerale and jello watching sesame street.  

So, now my main concern is disinfecting the house.  I realize that the flu has already had plenty of time to spread to myself and my 4 month old daughter (here's hoping we don't catch it by some miracle), but my DH will be home from work in a few days and I want to make sure he won't get it.

So, I'll start with the bathrooms and kitchen of course.  Bedding will be freshly washed the day he comes home.  What else though?  Any tips on how to disinfect my little guys toys?  Any help would be appreciated...

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amanda52007
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Lysol spray for the toys. Or bleach. Dip them in a mixture of bleach and water and let dry.

Lysol EVERYTHING. Door handles (even if the boy doesn't touch it...you do!), cabinet doors, toilets, sinks, tubs, etc. 

When the flu hits my house, I go by 2 or 3 big cans of Lysol and run out by the end of the flu hitting. I'm very very very anal. 

GermX hands, alot. Wash hands, alot. Make sure you have plenty of napkins and nose tissues.

Change the boys clothes everytime he throws up, sneezes on himself, etc. You could touch his clothes, and then touch the baby right after. 

LDavis33
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Great suggestions! Thanks so much.

Quoting Amanda52007:

Lysol spray for the toys. Or bleach. Dip them in a mixture of bleach and water and let dry.

Lysol EVERYTHING. Door handles (even if the boy doesn't touch it...you do!), cabinet doors, toilets, sinks, tubs, etc. 

When the flu hits my house, I go by 2 or 3 big cans of Lysol and run out by the end of the flu hitting. I'm very very very anal. 

GermX hands, alot. Wash hands, alot. Make sure you have plenty of napkins and nose tissues.

Change the boys clothes everytime he throws up, sneezes on himself, etc. You could touch his clothes, and then touch the baby right after. 

MamaJane
by Jane on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Great list! And don't forget the remotes

Quoting Amanda52007:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Medusa686
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Spray lysol everywhere including doorknobs, spray on cloth and wipe computer keyboards, toys etc. 

ameraznkimko
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM
All those disinfecting stuff is toxic so I use something called Thieves household cleaner to clean everything..it's non toxic and can even be sprayed on baby's toys and doesn't have to be washed off..I keep a bottle and use it to clean everything..there is also Thieves essential oil that can be diffused to kill bacteria and viruses and can also be applied to help strengthen the immune system..I have stocked up with essential oils and they have really helped especially since I have a baby and a boy in school..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Janis_1975
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:18 PM

this sounds crazy, but peal then cut an onion in half and put it in his bedroom.

I don't use lysol or bleach to clean. I like vinegar.

Misha1204
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM
I'd just make sure I wash my hands like crazy, as well as, everybody else. Lysol, Lysol, Lysol...
It'll be tough to do this, but try to keep your 3yr old contained to a specific area of the house.
I had the flu almost 2yrs ago. It's just us two & my dd never even got sick. I refused.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
0Glitter0
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM

WASH WASH WASH your hands, Do not touch nose, mouth or eyes, cover your sneezing and coughing , natural products work best to kill germs and breathe easier, also make sure your home has a humidfier, dry air is were germs & flu bugs  strive

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Clean the phone, remote, light switches, toilet flusher, faucet handles, anything that people touch. I go over them with a disinfecting wipe. Daily clean out sinks and toilets. Open the windows and let fresh air in, even if just a few minutes if it is terribly cold. Change the linens on the bed of the sick person every day and add a disinfectant to the laundry.

MsChris5201
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:41 AM
I highly recommend a disinfectant product called: Sol-U-Guard. The product is natural and uses the herb Thyme and NOT chlorine bleach, ammonia, doesn't have harsh fumes or leave a harmful residue. It is EPA approved to kill 99.9% of germs including: staph, E. coli, and the H1N1 virus. It's gentle enough to use around children, pets, and food. If you'd like more information just let me know and I'd be more than happy to assist you in any way that I can. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. =)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)