Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

The flu has hit. How do I stop it from spreading?

Posted by   + Show Post

Well, my 3 year old has the flu (at least I am 90% sure that it's the flu).  He's currently lying in my bed with some gingerale and jello watching sesame street.  

So, now my main concern is disinfecting the house.  I realize that the flu has already had plenty of time to spread to myself and my 4 month old daughter (here's hoping we don't catch it by some miracle), but my DH will be home from work in a few days and I want to make sure he won't get it.

So, I'll start with the bathrooms and kitchen of course.  Bedding will be freshly washed the day he comes home.  What else though?  Any tips on how to disinfect my little guys toys?  Any help would be appreciated...

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Replies (11-20):
AromaDrops33
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:43 AM

There is an essential oil blend I recommend called OnGuard. This is an all natural, safe way to keep the unwanted germs out of your house and family. I put 2 drops on my sons feet in the morning befor school and it has helped tremendously. You can also add 10-15 drops in a spray bottle with water and it acts like Lysol except without all the chemicals. Spray your door handles, phones ect.

if you'd like more detailed info on this oil blend feel free to contact me!

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Is it flu or stomach virus?  The reason I ask is that I just saw on TV that the hand disinfectants don't work on flu. 

For your house, wipe all places that hands touch- remotes, light switches, telephones, faucet handles, I'd wash the bedding of the sick person at least every day and more often if it is a stomach virus, same with jammies.  I have a friend who kept a glass in the bathroom with some peroxide in it that she'd soak the bristles of her toothbrush in when she was sick. I've never tried this and don't know how well it works.

extremelibrary
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Lysol is bad for you. Your spraying a bunch of chemicals around the house. It can make you sicker. I recommend you use something natural instead.

flowrsgalore
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:19 PM

An ER doc recommended cleaning out the fridge after we had to go for an exceptionally back puke spell once. 

LDavis33
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I've never thought about that, makes sense though.

Quoting flowrsgalore:

An ER doc recommended cleaning out the fridge after we had to go for an exceptionally back puke spell once. 

Miss.MaryJane
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:43 AM
Wash hands wash hands wash hands!!!! Use hand Sanitizer keep tissues around the house to cough or sneeze into. Spray disinfectant constantly.Try to limit contact between sick kid and healthy children. When the sick child uses something like a book wipe it down immediately when they're finished before putting it away. Make sure the other people in family are taking vitamin c. It won't completely protect them but it'll help. No use waiting til they're sick with it to start. We did this and only 2 out of 6 got sick.
Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Miss.MaryJane
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:45 AM
I use diluted bleach.And products from seventh generation. Those work well too.

Quoting ameraznkimko:

All those disinfecting stuff is toxic so I use something called Thieves household cleaner to clean everything..it's non toxic and can even be sprayed on baby's toys and doesn't have to be washed off..I keep a bottle and use it to clean everything..there is also Thieves essential oil that can be diffused to kill bacteria and viruses and can also be applied to help strengthen the immune system..I have stocked up with essential oils and they have really helped especially since I have a baby and a boy in school..
november0229
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Must spray the bottom of shoes,sneakers etc.better yet do not walk in doors with ur shoes on especially if u have carpet
BeccaBol
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM

use onions around he house, and vinegar to disinfect, dont ever use bleach, that is so toxic, as well as lysol, i have found a REALLY great alternative to the cleanign producs that are in stores. no more toxins

Sweet0.0Cheeks
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM

You don't. It is the debil! You will all be infected. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)