Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Cant seem to get caught up

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:00 AM
  • 28 Replies
Hello everyone. I am new here. I have a 7 yr old, 2 yr old, and an 11 month old. I am a sahm and I can't seem to get done what needs to be done. I start stuff and than have to stop cause of the babies. When i get them settled with something I try to go.back to what I was doing but it takes forever. My 11 month old is very whiny and cries at me until I pick her up than I try to do stuff withone hand and it is very difficult. I really need to get caught up cause it is driving me nuts and dh is bitching. He can't help withthe cleaning cause he has a very bad broken leg. Help.....anyone have any tips?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaJane
by Jane on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:10 AM
3 moms liked this
Oh no! So sorry to hear about dh. I hope he heals quickly.

Just keep going. Start with making sure you keep up on your daily chores. Don't leave dishes in the sink or laundry piled up. You won't want to do anything else if the kitchen is a mess. Then take 15 min and do something extra. If baby lets you then take 15 more. Try to realize that you won't get as much done with 2 tiny ones. There will come a day when you can catch up.
cjc2009
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I have a 2 yr old n a 1 yr old n i feel the same way
Decemberlov
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried letting the little one cry it out? I know it's not easy to listen to your little one cry but sometimes it's what needs to be done. My babies were always very good at keeping themselves occupied. Try putting her in a pack n play and giving her some things to keep her busy? I also use to let them play in the tupperware cabinet and this would entertain for quite a long time. Once they know that you will not cater to every little whine or cry they tend to move on.

MamaJen0713
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I do my best to do as much as I can while my baby is sleeping. Because, you are right, once she is awake, then that extra time is all over. If you need too, maybe have 1 early morning & long night where you just do as much as u can so you do not feel so behind. I am a big list person, so I make a list on most days of what absolutely has to be done, so I know where to start. Make the list short, so realistically you can accomplish it.
lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Ive been feeling.the same way lately. I just keep telling myself ill get it all done one day lol. I have found choosing one activity per day for the week helps. Like bathrooms on wed for toilets, sinks, tubs etc. Thurs for floors, tuesday for fridge clean out bc trash is wed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elijahsmama09
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Is there anyone who can take the kids for a day for you? I know you said hubby has a broken leg, but why cant he watch the kids or at least keep them entertained long enough for you to get some cleaning done? Or get someone else to take them so you can get caught up, and then take an hour everyday(broken up into 4 15min stretches if you have too) and keep up what work you have done. 

blondepegasus
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM
2 moms liked this
Nap time is your friend. Try to coordinate their naps so you have a block of time daily while they are sleeping. Also, try to involve the kids in age appropriate chores of their own to help out, such as picking up toys and throwing into totes, etc. If all else fails, park them in front of Barney or Sesame street for 20 minutes a day...does NOT make you a bad mom!
lovemymarine18
by Sarah on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM
I have a 2 and 1 year old also. Often I do little jobs in the kitchen while they eat. I also involve them, if I'm dusting, they get dust rags too. I know its not what you want to hear, but while they're tiny its going to be a little chaotic. Make sure to enjoy them too. It'll get better!
HeatherD1027
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM
2 moms liked this
Have you tried wearing the 11 month old? I have an ergo and can put my toddler on my back. Makes it so much easier!
sarah427
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Wow. You have your hands full! Here are some ideas that have worked for me.

When you clean bathrooms give baby a sprayer with water for tub, toilet, and sink. It keeps them busy!

Have a chore list for each day so over the course of the week the whole house gets clean.

Have designated play area so all toys are contained uncertain rooms. This made a world of difference for me! There used to be toys EVERYWHERE, now they are in the playroom. So much easier!

Do you have a baby carrier/sling? I would put music playing, and bop around with baby on my back! She loved it, it energized me, and I had both hands free. Just remember to squat not bend (it is an amazing workout for the legs and butt) and baby won't feel like they're falling.

Good luck!

Quoting lpanama:

Hello everyone. I am new here. I have a 7 yr old, 2 yr old, and an 11 month old. I am a sahm and I can't seem to get done what needs to be done. I start stuff and than have to stop cause of the babies. When i get them settled with something I try to go.back to what I was doing but it takes forever. My 11 month old is very whiny and cries at me until I pick her up than I try to do stuff withone hand and it is very difficult. I really need to get caught up cause it is driving me nuts and dh is bitching. He can't help withthe cleaning cause he has a very bad broken leg. Help.....anyone have any tips?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)