Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Cant seem to get caught up

Posted by   + Show Post
Hello everyone. I am new here. I have a 7 yr old, 2 yr old, and an 11 month old. I am a sahm and I can't seem to get done what needs to be done. I start stuff and than have to stop cause of the babies. When i get them settled with something I try to go.back to what I was doing but it takes forever. My 11 month old is very whiny and cries at me until I pick her up than I try to do stuff withone hand and it is very difficult. I really need to get caught up cause it is driving me nuts and dh is bitching. He can't help withthe cleaning cause he has a very bad broken leg. Help.....anyone have any tips?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Replies (21-28):
Sewsofun
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Well if you can then try to wash dishes right after lunch. Usually there isn't much in terms of dishes for lunch so that should be pretty quick. If you have like 4 pots and pans dirty after lunch you're working too hard! Lol. Make sandwiches, some fruit and cut up veggies and dip, viola! Done. It all feelsoverwhelming right now. I understand, I've only recently gotten complete control of my house and chores, and when I'm sick it sends the house into a tailspin. Just find a way to push really hard for a few days to get everything you can done. Then just maintain, you'll find it to be so much easier I PROMISE!
Janis_1975
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I have 6 kids, and I could never do the "crying it out" thing.

I remember what it was like when I had 3 little ones, I cleaned while the kids napped, or I can even remember staying up late at night scrubbing the kitchen floor.

Give your 7 year old some small chores.  Like clearing the table after dinner, putting away clean dishes.  or even vacuuming, my 8 year old loves to vacuum, she isn't great at it, but good enough.  Your 7 year old could even go collect all dirty clothes or put away the clean ones that you folded. They are small jobs , but would help you out.

Mi8Mi8
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Girl... they have you going don't they!  Never fear...help is on the way.  Sometimes in life, you have to nurture yourself.  So while I am sorry for hubby and I feel his pain (figuratively)  His leg is broken... not his hands.  So he can soothe a baby.  The 7 year old may have to bring her to him... but he can soothe her.  He'll have to learn to any way.  Hubby can peel a bowl full of potatoes.  He can dial the phone and order pizza.  Just make sure he has his pain medicine... not too much, not too little and he can do a few things to help you.

You may have to package the chores in a way that he can do them in a chair or the bed.  But he's far from helpless.  The 7 year old can help too.  They can play with the younger ones, put in a favorite DVD. They can put out a snack of crackers and juice boxes, pick up some toys, wipe a nose or a tear.

Be sure to make things easier on yourself.  Use disposable everything.  Delegate!  You are the supervisor.  Don't try to do everything, you'll make yourself crazy and wear yourself out. 

And above all... ask a friend, or your hubby's mom (did I just suggest that) to come and hold down the fort and go get a pedicure... It'll do you a world of good!!

ldavis518
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I was actually going to suggest the same thing...believe me I know its so hard to do!! No one is saying that it is going to be easy. But after a few times of her realizing that Mommy isnt going to run and pick me up every time I scream and whine she will stop and start to entertain herself. I know what you mean though about having to keep stopping to tend to the kids, I only have 1 4 yo and she does that, I cant imagine having 2 more!!!! She is needy bc she is special needs and gets frustrated very easily if she is doing something or attempting to do something and cant. Just remember they wont be little forever so try to embrace the moments you have...as far as the hubby bitching, just tell him you are trying and doing the best you can...and that's all you can do.juggling

Quoting Decemberlov:

Have you tried letting the little one cry it out? I know it's not easy to listen to your little one cry but sometimes it's what needs to be done. My babies were always very good at keeping themselves occupied. Try putting her in a pack n play and giving her some things to keep her busy? I also use to let them play in the tupperware cabinet and this would entertain for quite a long time. Once they know that you will not cater to every little whine or cry they tend to move on.

ldavis518
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Amen to that sista!!! :)

Quoting Mi8Mi8:

Girl... they have you going don't they!  Never fear...help is on the way.  Sometimes in life, you have to nurture yourself.  So while I am sorry for hubby and I feel his pain (figuratively)  His leg is broken... not his hands.  So he can soothe a baby.  The 7 year old may have to bring her to him... but he can soothe her.  He'll have to learn to any way.  Hubby can peel a bowl full of potatoes.  He can dial the phone and order pizza.  Just make sure he has his pain medicine... not too much, not too little and he can do a few things to help you.

You may have to package the chores in a way that he can do them in a chair or the bed.  But he's far from helpless.  The 7 year old can help too.  They can play with the younger ones, put in a favorite DVD. They can put out a snack of crackers and juice boxes, pick up some toys, wipe a nose or a tear.

Be sure to make things easier on yourself.  Use disposable everything.  Delegate!  You are the supervisor.  Don't try to do everything, you'll make yourself crazy and wear yourself out. 

And above all... ask a friend, or your hubby's mom (did I just suggest that) to come and hold down the fort and go get a pedicure... It'll do you a world of good!!

luvmymunchkins3
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:40 PM

nap is a great time to get stuff done

flutterbeckie3
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:09 AM

I don't have any other tips than what other ladies have said. Maybe DH can hold the baby while he's sitting/laying down or whatever? That may help somewhat, I know that many times little babies especially prefer mommy.

I wish you the best!

amanda81919
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM
When mine were about that age. Well my son was almost 2 and my dd was a few months, I put her in the carseat in the stroller and wheeled her around with me and he would be in the jumpy thing, id be good for at least an hour.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)