Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dry wall dust

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:08 AM
  • 10 Replies
Does anyone have experience with construction work? Hubby built a new storage room off out living room. I've been dusting every 3 days for 2 weeks to keep up with it but yesterday he did the bulk of the sanding and it was just horrible. I've dusted everything, even the couches, but it just settled back down again this morning. It isn't as bad though but I swear there's still a haze in the air.

If anyone has dealt with this I was wondering the best way to tackle it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Ugh, we redid our house before we moved in and it was everywhere! Wet it first then shopvac it. Like spraybottle with water and dampen everything and then vaccum it up. Or sweep but it may get yucky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kim8934
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM

seal off the area he is in with a plastic tarp.  once he's done, change the filters in your furnace and have a pro come in to clean out the duct work.

MamaJane
by Jane on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Ahhhh. I didn't want to wet it even when dusting the furniture because I thought it would be icky. His dry vac only has a hose so that would suck(ha) to do the whole living room.

I dry dusted everything last night. Then vac'd today. Then dusted with polish, then dusted again. I wiped the walls and floor in the new room, getting ready to paint. Ill wait and see at the end of the day if we have a new layer of dust or its starting to get better.

Quoting lillucky8:

Ugh, we redid our house before we moved in and it was everywhere! Wet it first then shopvac it. Like spraybottle with water and dampen everything and then vaccum it up. Or sweep but it may get yucky.
MamaJane
by Jane on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:41 PM
He's all done now and we are ready to paint. It's a separate room so he just shut the door. It didn't matter. It was really bad. I swear I can taste it!

I am going to remind him about changing the filter.

Quoting kim8934:

seal off the area he is in with a plastic tarp.  once he's done, change the filters in your furnace and have a pro come in to clean out the duct work.

Caitlin411
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:09 PM
We remodled our entire house almost five years ago and I feel like we've been dealing with the dust since.
Bmat
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I just kept vaccuuming and dusting. I figure that next time I'll put up a sheet or some kind of barrier between the work area and the rest of the house.

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Oh, I see. So much for my suggestion.  I wonder if a fan blowing out a window in the work area would exhaust some of the dust.

Quoting MamaJane:

He's all done now and we are ready to paint. It's a separate room so he just shut the door. It didn't matter. It was really bad. I swear I can taste it!

Quoting kim8934:

MamaJane
by Jane on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM
It just keeps cycling.

Quoting Caitlin411:

We remodled our entire house almost five years ago and I feel like we've been dealing with the dust since.
MamaJane
by Jane on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Yeah no window either lol. Ill have pictures shortly. I'm painting today. Shelves will hopefully be in on Tuesday

Quoting Bmat:

Oh, I see. So much for my suggestion.  I wonder if a fan blowing out a window in the work area would exhaust some of the dust.

Quoting MamaJane:

Quoting kim8934:

Caitlin411
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM

This is the first year that I feel like the dust isn't completely overwhelming. It's either all gone now or getting our new vacuum is working wonders on keeping all the dust out of here. 

Quoting MamaJane:

It just keeps cycling.

Quoting Caitlin411:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)