Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

in need of storage help!

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM
  • 18 Replies

I have a big project ahead of me. We recently bought a house, it was a GREAT deal. 3 bed 1 bath for $20,000. it needs some repairs and upgrading but thats fine with us. I really like the house, the only issue I have is storage. there is no basement and no garage, we plan on adding a garage later this year. The only closets I have are a tiny closet in each bedroom and one deep closet in the hallway, no shelves or anything. I'm trying to downgrade a lot of stuff I have held onto that I dont need, but I still need to figure out some solutions for a few problems I have. 1. no coat closet. I thought about buying a coat rack to hang on the wall, but I just picture the coats falling down every 2 minutes and thats gonna bug me. Any other ideas? 2nd.. a lot less cabinet space in the kitchen than I'm used to. I usually stock up on groceries to avoid going every week. What are some solutions to adding more food storage space without installing more cabinets? 3rd.. no linen closet. I need a solution for a place to put towels, blankets, sheets, etc and I also have a little stockpile of shampoos, soaps, etc that I need to find a place for. Im thinking I might be able to add some shelves in the closet in the hallway, but if anyone has any creative ideas, let me know. I can add pictures of the the spaces later so you can see what I am working with. 

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this
We have a hanging wrack in our stairwell to the basement for coats and purses, which wont work for you...hmm...maybe a small wrack right inside the door for one coat per person? And the rest in the bedrooms.

Towels id suggest a hanging wrack on the back of the bathroom door as well as a small closet in the bathroom or shelves.

Blankets and sheets maybe an underbed storage plastic tote for each room so they are easily accessable when needed? Or space saver bags?

For the stockpile, maybe a medicine cabinet in the bathroom? Mine has two medicine cabinets, one i use for toiletries, one for toiletpaper and stuff so the kids cant reach.

Id def put shelves in the hall closet, maybe you can put a small shelf for stockpile, a small hanging bar for coats and shelves for whatever else you need? Or if its deep you could do shelves in the back and a hanging bar in the front?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Im also a huge fan of small plastic containers, or photo storage boxes to keep things organized, and usually they are decorative so you can hide them in the open :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
superm0m877
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I like the idea for the hanging rack on the back of the bathroom door! The hall closet is pretty deep, I could probably fit a couple of my storage bins of clothes I am holding onto and still manage to fit a few shelves on the wall. I have 2 sets of these white shelves that go on the wall, each set has 4 shelves. Right now i have them in my room and my boys room, but I could use them in that closet OR use them in the kitchen for food. 

Quoting lillucky8:

We have a hanging wrack in our stairwell to the basement for coats and purses, which wont work for you...hmm...maybe a small wrack right inside the door for one coat per person? And the rest in the bedrooms.

Towels id suggest a hanging wrack on the back of the bathroom door as well as a small closet in the bathroom or shelves.

Blankets and sheets maybe an underbed storage plastic tote for each room so they are easily accessable when needed? Or space saver bags?

For the stockpile, maybe a medicine cabinet in the bathroom? Mine has two medicine cabinets, one i use for toiletries, one for toiletpaper and stuff so the kids cant reach.

Id def put shelves in the hall closet, maybe you can put a small shelf for stockpile, a small hanging bar for coats and shelves for whatever else you need? Or if its deep you could do shelves in the back and a hanging bar in the front?

superm0m877
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM

yeah I'm definitely gonna be stocking up on some containers lol I think I will keep blankets and sheets under the beds like you suggested, thats a great idea

Quoting lillucky8:

Im also a huge fan of small plastic containers, or photo storage boxes to keep things organized, and usually they are decorative so you can hide them in the open :)

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM
We use all kinds of things as shelves. My pantry has 2x4 pieces on the sides and pieces of dry wall as the shelf bc thats all we had. It doesnt have to be fancy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Ooh i didnt think of it til now, but what about hanging racks on the back of bedrooms doors also? Towels, coats, backpacks etc.

Quoting superm0m877:

I like the idea for the hanging rack on the back of the bathroom door! The hall closet is pretty deep, I could probably fit a couple of my storage bins of clothes I am holding onto and still manage to fit a few shelves on the wall. I have 2 sets of these white shelves that go on the wall, each set has 4 shelves. Right now i have them in my room and my boys room, but I could use them in that closet OR use them in the kitchen for food. 

Quoting lillucky8:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
superm0m877
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM

ok so where can I find a million hanging racks for cheap? LOL They are gonna be all over! maybe I can find one that also has a shelf built into it. like a shelf on top and the hanging hooks below it

Quoting lillucky8:

Ooh i didnt think of it til now, but what about hanging racks on the back of bedrooms doors also? Towels, coats, backpacks etc.

Quoting superm0m877:

Quoting lillucky8:

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM
You can buy the over the door kind of the single hooks at walmart or a home improvement store, the ones i got for our stairway is a board with hooks but that could easily be made at home for less, and you could add the shelf. Im all about putting dh to work with my ideas lol

Quoting superm0m877:

ok so where can I find a million hanging racks for cheap? LOL They are gonna be all over! maybe I can find one that also has a shelf built into it. like a shelf on top and the hanging hooks below it

Quoting lillucky8:

Quoting superm0m877:

Quoting lillucky8:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kim8934
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:57 AM

check the collapsable totes by ziploc, some fit under the bed rather well.

MamaJane
by Jane on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM
I have a routed and painted 3 x4 with hooks. My hubby didn't make that one but he's made others for me. Or you can buy them. Mine has 6 hooks. We each have a light jacket, a coat and a bag on each hook and the coats don't fall off.

I also have an over the door hook thing with 3 hooks. I have sports equipment on that one
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)