Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a big project ahead of me. We recently bought a house, it was a GREAT deal. 3 bed 1 bath for $20,000. it needs some repairs and upgrading but thats fine with us. I really like the house, the only issue I have is storage. there is no basement and no garage, we plan on adding a garage later this year. The only closets I have are a tiny closet in each bedroom and one deep closet in the hallway, no shelves or anything. I'm trying to downgrade a lot of stuff I have held onto that I dont need, but I still need to figure out some solutions for a few problems I have. 1. no coat closet. I thought about buying a coat rack to hang on the wall, but I just picture the coats falling down every 2 minutes and thats gonna bug me. Any other ideas? 2nd.. a lot less cabinet space in the kitchen than I'm used to. I usually stock up on groceries to avoid going every week. What are some solutions to adding more food storage space without installing more cabinets? 3rd.. no linen closet. I need a solution for a place to put towels, blankets, sheets, etc and I also have a little stockpile of shampoos, soaps, etc that I need to find a place for. Im thinking I might be able to add some shelves in the closet in the hallway, but if anyone has any creative ideas, let me know. I can add pictures of the the spaces later so you can see what I am working with. 

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Replies (11-18):
MamaJane
by Jane on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM
For the stock pile, over the door shoe holders. And they can be mounted on the wall as well. They hold all sorts of stuff.

My hubby is, as we speak, building me an extra room just for my good storage.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM
For all my shampoos and extra stuff, I have clear bin with lids. They stack and its easy to see what's in there. I only have out what I'm currently using.

I have a large wicker basket where I put extra sheets. I only have 1 extra per bed and they are all rolled up together and all fit on this basket.

I do have some under the bed bags for blankets. They were cheap! I didn't do space saver because they are a pain. But these regular bags still fit under my very low bed. I could get 8 of those under my king sizes bed if I wanted.
elijahsmama09
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I need to see pics...

I am usually really good at this stuff. I have always had small apts and now a smallish house. 

eevers55
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I had the same issue with my cabinets and I went to the dollar store for plastic conatiners for bulk dry goods. The containers stack and fit better than a bag of flour or rice or suger, etc.
As for the linens, I actually had that issue when I was youngera nd living with roommates. We had a laundry room but no linen closet (yeah...genius design.) Anyway, we went to Walmart and found a shelving unit that fit on the back of the door, but we screwed it into the wall instead. It held all of our towels and such. Perhaps you can find some sort of shelving that's convenient for you.
Under the bed plastic tubs work great when you don't have a lot of storage space for holiday decorations and such. We also have a coffee table with storage for games and puzzles and such (at least that's what we use it for). I've also seen couches and other furniture with storage inder the cushions for blankets, pillows, etc.

Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:41 PM

IMG00064-20110301-1430.jpg

We don't have a coat closet either. I hung a closet rod in our living room. We're considering turning that whole wall into a closet and built in bookshelves, maybe even a desk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I also hung a board of hooks by the back door.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondepegasus
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Check Craigslist for used armoires. People are selling them on there cheap in our area as they convert from bulky Tv to flatcreen, which usually won't fit. Many armoires have hanging rods in them. I also see actual wardrobes on CL too. I bought one years ago to use in my foyer as a coat closet and it works wonderfully. One side is for hanging coats, the other side had shelves for backpacks, and there's a drawer along the bottom for scarves, hats, gloves, etc. Oh, andshoes fit on a shelf under the coats! I'll try to post pics tomorrow...mobile right now.
blondepegasus
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Here is a pic of my armoire that's in my foyer and serves as a coat closet:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)