Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get this off?!

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:33 PM
  • 9 Replies

We just moved into our house and the people who had it before we did painted all of the walls. Sounds good except they apparently weren't thinking about the BEAUTIFUL hardwood floors because there is white paint almost literally all over the floors. It's worse in the bedrooms, it's like they didn't even TRY to keep it off the floor. Before we moved in we tried to get some of it off in our daughters' bedroom but it was SO time consuming that we had to give up and just move in. What we were doing was soaking it in hot water and then literally scrapping it off with a butterknife. Considering how much needs to be done to get it off the floors this really doesnt seem like the best option of getting the paint off the floors. Does anyone have any other ideas?! I would really appreciate ANY! 

Thanks in advance!  

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
johnny4ever
by Tracy on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:30 AM

bump

jsbuck
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I have never had to deal with this issue, but the quick search I did I found that it is going to be time consuming and a lot of elbow grease. 

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/what-is-the-best-way-to-remove-113539

3.ang3ls
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Awesome from the Dollar Store works pretty well at removing paint.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Caitlin411
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:14 PM

It's definitely going to be time consuming no matter which route you take. I can't stand sloppy, messy painters. If you can't do the job right don't do it. 

psychoduck
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:23 PM

depending on what the hardwood floors are "coated" with, you might purchase a heat gun and use that with a scraper to get the paint "dots" off.  If the floors are varnished or anything like that, I wouldn't suggest the heat gun though

blondepegasus
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Goo Gone works for many, or use a paint scraper, or if finish allows steam it up with a shark.
MamaVxthree
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Thanks ladies. :) I'll look into all of those ideas. I think Im just going to have to recruite a bunch of people one warm weekend and get to it. Heh. 

cats911
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Sand them, restain them, put a protective coating on them.

whitewinterose
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:56 PM
This would be my recommendation. Especially since it is a new home for you. Best way to ensure it gets clean all the way down. If willing to spend a little, there also are companies that specialize in hardwood restoration. Good luck!

Quoting cats911:

Sand them, restain them, put a protective coating on them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)