Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Need advice for my moms house!

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM
  • 7 Replies
My mom is a clutterbug! There are things everywhere is her house. Old clothes, trash, tons of cookware, old cards, bank statements, old checks, old pictures, and junk around her house. I am trying to get it out but I am so overwhelmed. She wants me to do it because she can't (just had surgery and can barely walk, this mess is a health concern). I have to replace her kitchen floor because it is really messed up. My siblings say they will help, but have yet to. She doesn't have trash pickup and has to burn (she lives out in the boonies, its not availible) so anything that won't burn I don't know what to do with. I thought about hiring professionals but I'm afraid they would throw away or take anything she really wants to keep. Storage is a whole other issue. Anyways, if anyone has advice I would love to hear it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
wandep
by Pam on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Maybe what you want to throw away take to your house and use garbage pickup there. Good luck.
chels210
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM
I had been doing that occasionally, but this will be more than ten bags this week, easily. I thought about getting a dumpster but my siblings are completely against it and won't help me pay for it...and I already have to replace floors for her, paint the walls and ceilings, and do something for organizing
Jessica45
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM

If anything is in good condition you could donate it. I'm not sure about where you live but here most churches, salvation army and big brothers big sisters will pick up. It's worth calling around and asking. I call all the time and they are happy to come pick up donations; clothes, toys, household items...they take most things even furniture.

chels210
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:31 PM
That's a good idea. Will keep it in mind. A lot of the things she has is broken that she thinks she will get fixed one day. :(
LoveToOrganize
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Donating is a great idea.  There are also many other ways to get rid or your items....... 

Check out my website - I have a page titled "Donate Unwanted Items" - It not only lists places that will accept your unwanted items and what they are looking for.......but it also lists places that will pay for your scrap metal, places to recycle, places to sell your items and more.

Here is the link....... Hope it helps a bit.......Good luck.   :-)

https://www.organizeyourlifeandmore.com/Donate_Unwanted_Items.html

Artillwife01
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I would just start in one room with a bag for burnable trash, a box for stuff to donate, then separate the non-burnable trash into recycleable and non-recycleable. Can you keep the trash in a garage or something until you are done? You might call your local trash company and ask them if their are any other options for getting the trash hauled away. You might not have as much if you sort out the recycling first. Good luck. I love a good challenge wish I could come help!

JTE11
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:15 PM

If you can afford to hire professional cleaners/organizers, do it , but you can be there to help and to direct them so they don't throw away important things. That way you still have control but don't have to do every last thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)