Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

NEED ADVICE PLEASE!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM
  • 10 Replies

Im a mommy to a 13 month old and am 4 months pregnant with our second. I am high risk with this one so im trying not to do a whole lot. Well my husband is no help cleaning. I literally do it all.. not because he doesnt want to help.. but because his work days are long and i stay at home, and on the weekends we arent home much.
Well since I got pregnant i have had very low energy. I did 4 loads of laundry today (because i was sick all week last week so laundry went to the bottom of my list. Today i cleaned my living room on hands and knees while my son napped. He wakes up and DISTROYS the spaces i just cleaned. Im so exhausted and frustrated and have a ton more to do today. Any advice?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jhuston
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Hire a maid or ask family for help. Your husband may be tired but its just as much his responsibility as yours. But since your high risk u should sit down with your husband and tell him what's up. He's gotta step up
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
woliung8153
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:30 AM
I have learned with little kids that during the day it will not stay clean. Clean after they go to bed.
johnny4ever
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Ask freinds/family to help

kierstyn78
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:55 AM
If you can afford it hire someone to clean once a week or even every other week is worth it.
LDavis33
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I was in a similar situation as you when I was pregnant.  I just had to accept that my house will never be perfect again (at least, not until my kids are grown and out of the house).  Now, with a 3 year old and a 4 month old, I take what I can get.  

Accept help wherever you can get it, or hire someone to help out if you can afford it (even if it is a teenager from your neighborhood, they can manage some stuff, like mopping, dusting and vacuuming).

Remind yourself of this... "my house is clean enough to be healthy but dirty enough to be happy".

Good luck!

sarah427
by New Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Put all toys in one room! That way only one room will look like a tornado hit. Also, if your child can walk to take a toy out, they are officially able to throw a toy back into a toy box! I would sing a cleanup song and my lo would toss toys back. Put up a baby gate to help keep toys in the play room. It really helps. Good luck.
koondogg
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I was tired of the mess at my house too. Except, I miscarried. Don't let that happen to you. It wasn't cleaning house though according to my OB he said it was probably the job I was at. They refused to let me off when I started bleeding, and gave me the hardest shift possible. To top it off 4 women lost babies there 1 of them was still born at 7mo. THIS WAS A HOSPITAL mind you! My husband was so upset after that, he has started helping considerably more. He still has his moments, and I have him do stuff. If it doesn't get done, I say phooee. I jus wait for him. It sucks yes, I have 5 loads of laundry waiting to be folded in our kitchen for the last 3 weeks. He would just live out of the pile if I let him. I work 12 hr days and he works 8hr days, he brings home more at this time, but I refuse to let him get away with it anymore. Or like the others say, hire someone. Its out of our pocket spending to do so, but I have my 76 year old grandma who is retired and can't stand being around my grandpa as much as she used to. He won't travel which is what she loves, so she has offered to clean for us. I don't make her, and I don't ask her. I just tell her if she is bored to go for it. I gave her a key, and she is thrilled to get out and do something. I def. pick up what I can, and I try, but with work and school and a 3 year old girl a dog who has more toys than a toy store, and a husband who acts his shoe size most of the time, I'm burning my candle at both ends. It can't be done hun or you will not be worth anything in the end, treat yourself good and relax. The mess will be there after tomorrow, just take care.

JTriches
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM

buy toy baskets(laundry baskets at the dollar store) and have his pick up his toys and put them in the basket.  No new toy til he puts the old toy away.  Make it a game

madre1969
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:59 PM

maybe put in add in church or local paper for high schoool student looking for extra money to help out a few days a week......good luck

Mi8Mi8
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

First off...Thank you for your service.  As a military wife, your sacrifice is not taken lightly by me!  Kudos to you.

Now... here's my advice.  NOTHING, is more important than your health and the health of your children, nothing!  Are you hearing me?  OK... so here's what you're gonna do:

1. Stop obsessing about an immaculate house.  You're body just will NOT allow for that right now.
  2. If you haven't already, go to disposable everything, plates, bowls, cups, cutlery...etc.  Clean ups a breeze.  Everything goes in the trash. (and the trash can stays put until hubby can take it out... understood?)
  3. Laundry... I have 2 boys, so I know a thing or two about laundry, and toddlers.  If the soiled clothing is not a biohazard...it can stay on their little body until you have time to remove it.  Don't change the baby's entire outfit every time there's a little formula splash on it. 
  4. Do the laundy every other day if you can.  Seperate into 3 loads.  Darks, Lights and Yaaaayuck!!
  5. Make sure you're taking care of yourself.  Eat often, make sure to get your protein and vitamins in.  If you have to crush those horse pills and put them in a smoothie to get them down, do it!  You should have a healthy appetite once you start taking your vitamins.  You eat BEFORE you feed the baby!!
  6. Sarah427's idea of creating a play room is an excellent one. do this, and teach your hubby to round up whatever toy's escape the playroom and toss them back in before he hits the sack.
  7. You SLEEP when the Baby naps!
  8. Cleaning happens when the baby is mesmerized like during they're favorite video or tv show...that only  gives you about 30 minutes, so don't get carried away.  You'll only have time for the most important hygienic maintenance.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)