Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Want to Help my FIL...

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:11 AM
  • 6 Replies

Let's call my FIL a pack rat and a free spirit... affectionately of course.  He's a disabled vet and he moved to the city that we live in the suburbs of to be closer to his grandson... but his VA benifits are actually in the next state over so he technically has 2 addresses, one here and one 3 hours east of here.

He has a beautiful 36' Fleetwood motorhome 3 hours from here that he stays in and it's clean and organized...

That one is clean because he's living in a 28' Winnebago here and most of stuff is in this 'bago... I want to help him organize and clean the smaller motor home so that it's more livable, because I love my FIL and I want him to be more comfortable....

Any tips on how to organize such a small space while keeping the stuff that he wants in the 'bago in it? (He has a storage unit for the stuff he doesn't immediately want)

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gmadiane
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I would just suggest storage bins and boxes and everything not needed to storage

Amanda52007
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Use all empty spaces for storage. Find containers/baskets that find it the weirder places.

Pinterest!

Mi8Mi8
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Hiya Try...-

Here's  a thought for you... It occurred to me that, if his son, isn't as gung-ho about helping him as you are... you may be walking into something here...

If FIL hasn't asked for you help, and even if he has... you may want to see how committed he is first.  If he isn't able to make a few quick decisions about what "types" of things can go.  (like if for example he's got... unopened mail from 10+ years ago that he tells you he needs to go through before shredding/ trashing it... He may not truly be ready for help.

Am I making it plain?  ;)

wandep
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Yes, that is great if you can get on pinterest site and find ideas. I would suggest baskets of all sorts and sizes. Good luck. That is awesome that you are wanting to help him.

Tryshx
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Well, actually DH wants the 'bego cleaned as well, and he tidies it up every time we visit, but isn't the best at organization. It was actually the lady whose house it's parked at that brought up the fact that it desperately needs to be organized in a way that FIL can keep clean, and I've talked to FIL since and he's all for it. He has a storage unit that some of the stuff can go into, and DH is going to secure the cabinets in the motor home for him (they were recently removed to redo the ceiling) and we can put clothes there. FIL has a bunch of tools and trinkets and things though that he wants with him all the time, and his only request is that he be able to find everything once I'm done...so I was thinking of using clear totes and labeling everything using tape and marker (even the cabinets lol)
Quoting Mi8Mi8:

Hiya Try...-

Here's  a thought for you... It occurred to me that, if his son, isn't as gung-ho about helping him as you are... you may be walking into something here...

If FIL hasn't asked for you help, and even if he has... you may want to see how committed he is first.  If he isn't able to make a few quick decisions about what "types" of things can go.  (like if for example he's got... unopened mail from 10+ years ago that he tells you he needs to go through before shredding/ trashing it... He may not truly be ready for help.

Am I making it plain?  ;)

Mi8Mi8
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

In that case my dear... Here's some advice :

1. in a place as small as a motor home almost every single thing must serve doubler duty of be miniature or travel sized. 
  2. Of course using the spaces under the pull outs and beds is a given
  3. If he's a visual person (his specific disability isn't mentioned so if any suggestions are crazy-talk, just skip it). Then your idea about see through bins is a good one. 
  4. Work with his natural organizational style. If he's a piler. (stacks of stuff everywhere) then he's likely visual. Use wall hooks and magnetic organizers and travel organizers of every kind
  5. Use bedside caddy's and lap trays and plastic shower liner type organizers on any and every available wall space. 
  6. If he prefers things out of site. Then baskets and bins are your best friends. 
  7. He could keep 3-4 fitted sheets on his mattress and perhaps do away with the flat sheets altogether
  8. A heavy blanket folded at the foot of the bed and a lighter blanket to finish off the bed
  9. Command hooks and adhesives will be invaluable. Use them everywhere for everything
  10. The kitchen should consist of maybe 3 pots- 8 in fryer non-stick, 1- tiny stock pot and 1 saucepan

If you need more suggestions. I'm full of them!  May the force be with you. I'm sure you'll all be over joyed when you're done. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)