Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Time for a new vacuum...what do you have--what do you recommend?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:07 PM
  • 20 Replies

Poll

Question: What brand of vacuum do you have and do you think it's the best one you've ever had?

Options:

Hoover

Eureka

Dyson

Bissell

other

Shark

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 22

View Results

My vacuum is a Hoover and is about 10 years old.  It works fine, but we have more pets now and I'm thinking about getting a vacuum that is bagless.  What do you think?

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstanothrmom
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:14 PM
I have a Hoover Whisper Cyclonic. I LOVE it. I love the handle that removes to such stuff up. I'll never buy another vacuum without it. It picks up very well. I bought it originally as a cheap replacement to get a Dyson but feel in love. My kids broke it and I bought another THAT is how much I love it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thebailiffs
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I have a Dyson and will never buy any other brand. It is so good it sucks up stuff before I get close to things...

MommeisQueen
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:22 PM
We have a Shark, the Navigator Lift Away. It's a great vacuum and I love the bare floor attachment! Over the years I've had to have some parts replaced. Thankfully, we also have a great warranty registered so we never have a problem with customer service. It's a pain waiting seven to ten days in between shipments to vacuum so when our warranty is up I'm going to shop around...maybe try a Dyson.
thebailiffs
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM

There are a few other things that I love about the Dyson. The first is no bags to collect yucky stuff and then throw away. Also you don't have to find and buy bags. 

Second is that it NEVER loses suction. So I can sucking the fan in the 8 foot ceilings and still be sucking the floor at the same time. 

The other thing is that every time I have called Dyson for help, it is a person who speaks English and they nicely walk me through how to fix the issue and I always learn something new about it. 

For example I got a carton stuck in the bottom of the tube and the lady talked me through how to unhook the tube and remove it. I had no idea that is where most things get stuck because it is the first bend in the tube. 

I know I could quit my day job and just sell Dysons... They are a little pricy, but I always wait for my Costco rebate then buy a new one with it. Win win...

I don't even have the animal or the really really powerful ones. Mine is gray  with light blue. 

Please consider Dyson!

chrisnjoesmom
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Shark navigator, I love it, the only negative is there are a lot of parts to clean sometimes.

BridgetMc
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:36 PM
I have a Panasonic. I don't even know where you'd find one. I broke several in my early years of marriage. A Bissell, 2 Hoover's and a friend's Dyson. I have very long hair and my hair burns out motors on bagless vacuums. So I got a Panasonic with bags and I love it. I prefer to pull out and throw a bag away over dumping a canister and cleaning a filter. Gross.
ballerina.2006
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Shark navigator. The only downside for us is the constant empting of the canister. We have cats and dogs so there is a lot of fur. The plus sides: it pulled nasty gunk from our bed (hair and dust), suction power is so amazing it grabbed stuff from under baseboards, picks up a piece of cloth and doesnt lose suction power. We now have just wood and tile but keep the vacuum for things like cleaning the dryer lint trap and quick clean ups. I love it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Caitlin411
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a Dyson and I loved it. A year ago I bought a shark since it's less than half the weight of the Dyson. Now all I use is my shark since it picks up so much that my Dyson misses. I would never buy a Dyson again. Not to mention Dyson's vacuums are now all plastic so for the price it's a little ridiculous.
MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I am all for not having carpet. The thought of it makes my skin crawl. Would you put a sweater on the floor and walk all over it without ever actually WASHING it and hope that a little soaking and suckig the water out will get it clean? 

So... I have all hard wood and a shop vac! Guess I am really no help! I know my mom HATED her dyson if that helps!

megandwade
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:12 PM

We have the shark pet vac... It's a smaller bagless vacuum. It was cheap.It's light weight and works great! You have to empty it every time you use it but only because it works so well! If you are looking for something for pet hair I definitely recommend it. It even comes with attachments specifically for pet hair. I must add my 2 dogs are both short haired.. The only complaint I have with the vacuum is that the rubber part where the hose connects to the handle broke only after a year of having it, we just wrapped duct tape around it and it still works fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)