Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Desperate Help

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:55 AM
  • 14 Replies
I am pretty sure I'm a horder, but when I clean and try to get rid of things I still keep ha e of it because I feel its important!
How do I convince myself to just let things go?
I can't live like this!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessy613
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I'm not sure. I'm the opposite of you. I enjoy throwing everything away. Here's a bump for you.

Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:44 AM
2 moms liked this
"have nothing in your home that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful"

I found an inspirational book, Organized Simplicity. Reading it helps me get into the right frame of mind to be able to let go. One thing I've learned is to make sure things you've decided to get rid of leave ASAP. Otherwise they work their way back into the general clutter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stayathome510
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I really enjoy reading books about organization, so appreciate the book mentioned!  I will have to check that out!

gmadiane
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM
2 moms liked this

try to store stuff away, put it in a box in a basement, closet, wherever, put a date on the top if in a few months you have not gone to it for something you need dont even open it up just get rid of it

Ebonyjewel28
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Thx, everyone for the advice and suggestions!
Ill look into the book soon!
Medusa686
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:09 AM

They say if you haven't used it or worn it in a year then throw it away. I take items to Goodwill and declare it on my taxes.  Stop being selfish and give it to someone else who can use it.  I get rid of things all the time, I don't like to keep junk around and I like a neat, and clean home. Its got to be clean if you have kids.  Just dump stuff and you won't think twice about it.

3.ang3ls
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Think about what really matters and what you really need to 'survive' each day. I like to approach it by thinking of it as a 'value added' item. Does maintaining the item in my home bring joy to my family or is it more work than its worth, constantly having to clean it or move around it???? Children need very little to be happy and entertained. I don't like wasting time I could be with my kids, worrying about clutter I will probably never use. Things are easily replaced, time with family is not. Good luck.
Bmat
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I put things I'd like to get rid of but am not positive about in a box and set it aside for a while- a month or two. In that length of time if I haven't taken it from the box, out it goes.

stayathome510
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I don't think its being selfish in keeping things that you may have to buy again....I here you on the give/throw idea, absolutely....

I have two boxes that I use, one is for selling at our semi annual church sale, and the other to give.  I used to just give the stuff away, but with three little kids this is better because when selling the nicer stuff, I am able to buy some of their needs with that money.

Quoting Medusa686:

They say if you haven't used it or worn it in a year then throw it away. I take items to Goodwill and declare it on my taxes.  Stop being selfish and give it to someone else who can use it.  I get rid of things all the time, I don't like to keep junk around and I like a neat, and clean home. Its got to be clean if you have kids.  Just dump stuff and you won't think twice about it.

Mi8Mi8
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:42 PM

My dear sweet Ebonyjewel-

What a brave thing to do, reaching out for help!  I'm so proud of you!  You've gotten to the first step on your own.  That's to Name it and claim it.  The next step is to seek professional help.  Now I realize that this may come as a shock to you but... hoarding is a compulsion.  It stems from an imbalanced way of thinking.  It's a chemical problem.

Therefore, the simplest way of tackling it is to first treat the imballance via a medical practicioner.  Yup... you should see a doctor.  ( traditional or homeopathic... your choice)  I know that's hard to take but... I speak to you from experience... stay with me lovey!!  Hang on...

You mentioned that when you try to pare down, suddenly you think of a reason you might need the item in the future.  Have you always been this way?  Can you remember a time when you didn't feel the need to keep everything? 

Sometimes a loss, like a divorce or death in the family can cause a person to begin using  what I like to call "retail therapy" to fill a void.  Other times, it's severe financial crisis that makes people continue to keep every little thing, (like empty soda bottles) just in case...

If this sounds like you, or you can imagine yourself doing something similar, then listen up!! 

Hoarding is serious, it's a disorder, and it's extremely disruptive.  To be successful you'll need medical, psychological and organizational help to beat it.

It's a process and it will take time.

For now.  Let my words marinate.  They're not a condemnation, just the opposite, they're a prescription for a healthy and happy future.

NOW FOR THE PRACTICLE ADVICE...  Here's what helped me:

1) watching TLC's "Hoarders"...that showed me where I was headed if I didn't make some changes.

2) Examining each item in my possession and asking myself...

a) can this item be easily replaced? in other words, if it's not the only one on the planet and I get rid of it...  can I find another one?

b) Do I really have the spare time and energy to complete the project I'm saving this for, or is it just as easy to get one that doesn't need so much work?

c) Where am I going to put it / how will I use it?  Do I already own something that will work?

3) If you buy something to add to your possessions, something else must go.  One in one out.

That should hold you for a while.  Don't retreat my dear.  Keep moving forward.  You'll be glad you tackled this head on.  You really will!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN