Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Not enough room for everything

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:24 AM
  • 16 Replies

Does anyone have any good tips for keeping your house decluttered? Me and my husband live in a very small home with our little newborn baby, I also run a daycare out of my home, so keeping my house spotless is a top properity because if my house isn't spotless then I can actually lose my daycare liscense. In the next few years we're hoping my husband will find a better job and be able to move to a bigger home in the country, but for the moment we have one small closest in our bedroom, and three small cupboards in the kitchen and thats the extent of our storage space. My house is rarely actually dirty, everything cleaned and scrubbed down all the time, but we have such little room, it never looks clean because we have rubbermaid containers, plastic storage shelves, and things stacked on top of each other everywhere, and between having to have all the things for the daycare, our own baby and things for our hobbies (my husband loves fishing and I love crocheting and crafts), we just don't have a spot for anything. Does anyone have any good storage tips for a small home?

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Get a storage unit. If you don't have a garage basement or attic to store once-in-a-while things like fishing rods, camping gear, golf clubs etc.

How small is your home? If you could share some pics of specific areas that would help us come uo with better ideas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wills_mum
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM

No unfornately no basement,, attic or garage, thanks for any help, I'll take some pictures later today after the daycare kids leave, they're just napping right now

MamaJane
by Jane on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

The storage unit is a good idea!  This could really clear up some space for you. 

Do you use wall space? Go up with your storage and build shelves.

mom2four1978
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I like to think outside of the normal spaces for storage. My house doesn't have much storage space either.

If you have a space between the top of the kitchen cabinets and the ceilings put baskets up there. This is where I keep my kids craft supplies, extra school supplies and small kitchen stuff.

Under the beds. You can get these bed riser things at walmart to lift your bed up making room for larger boxes underneath.

Hang things up. Consider hanging your DH's fishing rods up high. If your closet is long enough hang them from the ceiling in there.

Look to craigslist for used dressers. You can paint more than one to match and get rid of some of the storage boxes and shelves by putting those items in the dressers. Dressers can look really cute in the kitchen and a bigger dresser makes a great TV stand with storage. Used china hutches are also a good option. They have lots of storage and look nice.

Pretty baskets can go a long way to making things look more cohesive and overall cleaner. If you can't afford baskets you can take cardboard boxes and use spray glue to attach fabric. The cheapest way to get fabric is to buy a canvas drop cloth at home depot or lowes.

Those shelves made to go above the toilet create a lot of storage.

If you have a back porch, under deck space, or a back patio. Look into the rubbermaid outdoor storage cabinets. They can look nice lined up on a back porch and you can store holiday decorations in them. Just make sure to tape the boxes along all side and throw in some moth balls.You could also take some of your plastic shelving units outside. You could make covers for them to make them look nicer.

If you have a back yard look into those metal storage sheds. I had one when I lived in a really tiny house. It was much cheaper than a storage unit in the long run.

~ LIZZY~

Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Loft beds and captain's beds have made a major difference in my house. I've got tons of ideas shelves, cupboards, storage Ottomans, end tables, etc. but I'm very visual, and could give better advice seeing things. Then I'd google some images for you. How high are your ceilings? Above head storage is a great way to keep thing out of kids' reach.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Medusa686
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I have a large ottoman in my house for storage.  Perhaps you can put some things in a rental pod or one of those units offsite. 

blondepegasus
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:47 PM
I would consider a cube type storage unit from IKEA for your living room. They make canvas and wicker basket drawers to fit the cubbies or you can leave some empty for displaying items. They are very cost effective...under $100.00 for a huge wall unit. It would be great to store your toys, diapers, etc. for daycare. You'd need to be sure to secure it to the wall for safety with the little ones. I'm on my kindle and can't do links or pics but will try to remember tomorrow.

Also, over the door hangers are great for robes and towels in the bathroom, jackets and backpacks by the door, scarves and belts in the bedroom, etc. Hanging shoe bags can organize kitchen gadgets or even food.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blondepegasus
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Here is the Expedit shelving unit I was talking about. It comes in about 3 different colors (white, black, brown) and sizes from just 3 or 4 cubes up to this one which is 25 cubes ($199.00 for the largest). It's very versatile and would store TONS of stuff and can be made into any look you want (formal and pretty for living room, playful for daycare, or even a combo of the two if your living and daycare spaces are combined

Mi8Mi8
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I have ton's of tips, but they may be useless without knowing what your space looks like.  I'm happy to help.  If you want to send the pic's offline, let me know and I'll provide an address.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:44 AM
2 moms liked this

My only advice is a find a place for everything and if I can't, I try to get rid of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN