Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Looking for what motivates you clean?!?

Hi Ladies! I am a mom of 2 little busy boys. I have the same messes in my house every day.... What motivates you to keep cleaning?? Any tips?? What organizational things work for you??

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Replies (11-20):
Emeraldmama7
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:19 PM

How horrible to have to go through that!  I'm sorry that happened to you and your kids.  Gosh, short of hazardous conditions (like no running water, poop all over the floor, etc) I had no idea that a house that isn't society's idea of "clean" could cost you your children.  =(

Quoting Lydlou02:

I'll be honest. Once upon a time CPS came and told me my place was horrible. They didn't take the kids, but they had someone visit me twice a week to "teach me how to clean". What a joke! I had to learn all by myself. I'm still not sure what an acceptable level of messiness is. I clean because I'd live in fear of losing my kids if I didn't.
Right now I'm purging and organizing to make keeping house less stressful.
Another motivation is my weekly game nights. Every Friday I host family game night for our friends, so the house HAS to be clean by then each week.

Emeraldmama7
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I clean because I have OCD (probably due to the abuse my ex for 6 years as a young woman, my house was always one thing I could control). I actually like cleaning. I don't like picking up toys though, and I refuse to once my kids hit a certain age. My older kids can pick up after themselves before bed every night...otherwise I get their toys. I help my toddler clean a few times during the day.

Edited to add:  If you keep things organized and there is a place for everything, it makes cleaning so much easier.  I loooove baskets.  I have a basket downstairs of a few of my toddler's fav toys and a basket for my baby.  I have a large basket I keep all of our couch blankets in (to cuddle up with in the winter), a basket for my magazines, two baskets on my stairs.  One is for loose toys that make their way downstairs and need to be brought back up...and one for loose clothes (baby's spit up clothes, socks, rags, etc.).  In my bathroom, everything is in small crates (of the same color) on the linen closet shelves.  My kids have a shoe rack, and a place to hang their coats.  Their backpacks go in a trunk by my front door.  They are responsible for putting their things away when they get home.   I have one large laundry basket and one small shark laundry basket for ALL 7 of us.  When one gets full (usually after a day and a half) I do that load of laundry.  It's much easier to keep up with it then to let it mound.  I put away everything except their pj's, and I put their socks and undies in a basket and they put them where they belong.  Even my 3 yr old does this. 

As for cleaning toilets/bathrooms, vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, etc. I do that all while the older kids are in school. It's just me and the 3 little ones (I babysit) during the day.  When the kids get home it's time to share about our day and unwind for an hour, homework, then dinner, then baths and family time before bed.  My older kids only have to worry about homework and the mess they made.  In the summer I usually have them help out more, but my kids don't get home until 4pm on school days so I want to spend that time with them. 

Good luck, mama!  Let us know what you find works for you!  =)

jadedprincess
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM
2 moms liked this

i watch an episode or two of horders and I am in the cleaning zone.  i also have been using a site called fly lady for years and that really helped me alot.  my mom had a maid and never cleaned so when i went out on my own i had to learn how to clean. 

momdays
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM

My distain for clutter LOL. I teach the LO's how to clean up toys, so thats not usually an issue. I constantly clean as I go so things don't pile up constantly. When I go to the kitchen, I take a piece of trash, or dirty dish with me. When I go upstairs, I take something that is supposed to be up there with me, and so on.

MaskedMomma
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 3:58 PM

motivation = SO & me both having devious exs who never see their kids but even though they've never been here WOULD stoop as low as calling CPS on us. So the fear of a CPS visit motivates me to keep the house clean at all times. it's my 3yr old, his 3yr old & 6yr old, and OUR 7month old. We've each been in each others kids lives for longer then the birth parents were. ALL the kiddos live with us year round, although his go to BM for the summer....if she doesnt send them back early.

Tips= do one BIG clean a week (you might have to do a couple in a row to start up for the first time). Do your BIG clean on a low-key day, and the rest of the week is just upkeep. do dishes after lunch & dinner. Vacumme after breakfast. Do laundry every day & put it away before bed. Make sure everything has a 'home' & it stays in there. Including kids toys! Around here they all stay upstairs in their playroom (closet) & they clean up the 'spillover' every night. We have a set of blocks & a toy kitchen in the digning room. those are the only toys allowed downstairs.

funkycat
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Deadlines of either an event or out of state visitors.

Sewsofun
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Sometimes I don't have the motivation, but after a few days off, and watching the house descend into chaos usually gets me back in gear. I always remind myself the longer I put it off the harder it is to get done.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
5PointedHuman
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I get motivated when I notice the the cockroaches and dust-bunnies are upset because they are not in the family portrait :)
I'm kidding, of course (they are always in the family portrait. Christmas Cards too!).

I draw motivation from wanting to set a good example for my children.  

Pink.Frosting
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Certain things like lighting candles and playing music get me in the mood to clean and make things nice.  I also like to think ahead at night and decide what I want the next day's "major" cleaning job(s) will be.  Like today I tackled my kitchen floor on my hands and knees with a scrub brush.  I also had a deep clean of my back entry way on the list, but I only got half way done with it.  So the rest of that will get bumped to tomorrow and I'm also planning on deep cleaning one of the bathrooms and hallway.  So when I get up tomorrow, I know what my big jobs for the day are.

Simply_Lola
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Having my family come home from work and school to a calm, clean, and peaceful haven motivates me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN