Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Decluttering the Garage

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM
  • 6 Replies

Garage Door With Windows

What's Behind the Door?

The garage is often the dumping ground for whatever doesn't fit into the house. If your garage needs a serious overhaul, set aside enough time to put it right and enlist help.
Sort contents in piles of related items — house maintenance and repair supplies, sports gear, garden tools, holiday decorations, recycling, etc.
For the items that need to stay in the garage, install shelving and cabinets that will house the items close to where they're needed.

Pristine Floor

Use a grease-cutting cleanser to remove stains on the floor before sealing and, if desired, painting.

Garage With Clean Floor

Consolidate Items

Storing similar items together, like these shelves for pet supplies in the HGTV Green Home 2011 garage, streamlines household routines.

Green Home 2011 Doggie Wash with Storage in Garage

Divert Attention

Hang coat hooks for jackets and hats, and install a rack close to the outdoor door for muddy boots. A trick to draw the eye away from mess and clutter: Turn the wall into an eye-catching space. In the HGTV 2011 Green Home, the wall is painted a copper shade and stained with diluted wall paint to add architectural interest to the space.

Green Home 2011 Wide Shot Mudroom Hall from Garage

Gorgeous Garage

A jazzy paint job takes this space from just-clean to simply dazzling. Having your tools and toys conveniently stored where they're easy to grab but — just as important — easy to put away makes it more likely the garage can be maintained in its shipshape condition.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
.Angelica.
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM

i wish our garage looked that nice. LOL. it is unfinished (even though our house was built in 1970!!) and is filled with clutter waiting for us to take a trip to the garbage dump

louannwilkins
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:46 PM

no garage here   :)

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM

We did this last Spring, but it needs to be straightened up again.

dirtgirlfashion
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM

our garage is filled up with junk and i got to clean it out, i have bags of clothes for our yardsale, furniture and other things i need to get rid of asap

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I wish I had a garage! LOL!

Heather2001
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM

We need to get a shed before we can declutter the garage, hehe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN