Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tips for organizing laundry/ laundry room

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:41 PM
  • 11 Replies
Hi all. I'm not new but I haven't post in awhile. I was wondering if you alk had any tips for organizing a laundry room or just laundry period. My dh and I have five children and no one is old enough to do their own laundry yet. My oldest is 8 and she helps fold and put away as well as match socks, towels etc. I usually do about 2 loads a day but as it's getting warmerand we are doing more outside activities I don't want to fall behind, Any advice?
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I use laundry bags (pop up ones) I organized by colors whites, colored, misc. It helps to keep it in order!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

I don't sort colors. It all goes in the wash at once. Maybe not the best idea but it works for me. I do a load in the morning and have it folded and put away before lunch. This keeps us caught up. I have front loaders so we put a counter too over them and its my folding area. I fold straight from the dryer and make piles according to which room they go in. I have a basket for unmatched and a basket for too small clothes. I have a shelf for cleaning supplies and tags and then a cart for detergents.
Caitlin411
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:43 PM
I like the counter above it. Laundry rooms are always fun to look at because people take such different approaches to how they put it all together.

Quoting MamaJane:

Mobile Photo

I don't sort colors. It all goes in the wash at once. Maybe not the best idea but it works for me. I do a load in the morning and have it folded and put away before lunch. This keeps us caught up. I have front loaders so we put a counter too over them and its my folding area. I fold straight from the dryer and make piles according to which room they go in. I have a basket for unmatched and a basket for too small clothes. I have a shelf for cleaning supplies and tags and then a cart for detergents.
MommeisQueen
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Quoting MamaJane:

Mobile Photo

Ok, that looks and sounds similar to what I need to do. I just have a few plastic laundry hampers in each bathroom and when its full I take it to the laundry room. I sort them on the laundry floor which I am about to stop. The problem is once the clothes are dry I put them on themtable to fold when I get time but during the day (s) the kids and my husband go in rambling andmlooking for this and that and most of the time they knock things down and I feel kike I'm washing the same things over and over. This week I'm organizing my laundry room...hopefully I have some clean laundry room pictures soon. Thanks
Juniper53098
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

We have a basket for each person.  On laundry day, I take each of them down the the laundry room, where I have a 3 section sorter.  1 section is always colored towels and washcloths.  The 2nd section is whites.  The 3rd is delicates.  Everything else goes right into the washing machine until it's full.  When I fold clothes, they are immediately sorted by person and type.

Heather2001
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I have a laundry basket in each closet and I just do a load as the baskets get full - a load a day, normally.  Then each person puts away their own clothes.

MamaJane
by Jane on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM
That counter changed my life. Seriously. Before that I would grab the clothes from the dryer and throw them I. The floor of my closet where I folded them and distributed. I can't tell you how many times that pile reached my waste and threated to spill out of my closet. It wAs so ridiculous and over whelming.

Quoting Caitlin411:

I like the counter above it. Laundry rooms are always fun to look at because people take such different approaches to how they put it all together.

Quoting MamaJane:

Mobile Photo

MommeisQueen
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Mobile Photo

I found some pop up hampers at Target yesterday.
QuirkyMom26
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I also keep a small wicker basket for " lost socks " and a mason jar for stuff I find in pockets.  Start hanging your blankets outside :) I drape mine over our deck railings. It saves on energy because normally I'd be turning the dryer on x2 for heavier blankets and that's a pain in the ass when I have other laundry waiting to be dried. You should see if you can't get a small shelf installed above your w/d unit.  Or maybe a clothes rod to hang things up on. 

MommeisQueen
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Ok, thanks. Yeah, I saw something like what you are talking about but I didn't get it this time. I was also thinking about an old fashioned clothes line in the back yard..we'll see. That would be cool for blankets.

Quoting QuirkyMom26:

I also keep a small wicker basket for " lost socks " and a mason jar for stuff I find in pockets.  Start hanging your blankets outside :) I drape mine over our deck railings. It saves on energy because normally I'd be turning the dryer on x2 for heavier blankets and that's a pain in the ass when I have other laundry waiting to be dried. You should see if you can't get a small shelf installed above your w/d unit.  Or maybe a clothes rod to hang things up on. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)