Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homemade remedies for pests in the yard

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM
  • 3 Replies

DD and I have been walking across our yard to the garden and she comes in with a chigger "bite".  We also have numerous ant hills in the yard every year.  Looking for something to get rid of the chiggers and cut down on the number of ants (and something that is safe for DD to get on her skin if she walks across/plays in that area a day or two later)?

by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
justdebbie67
by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I also am interested as my daughter was out playing the other day and the mosquito bites are the size of half dollars or bigger, she is very sensitive, we also have chiggers, red ants (fire), millions of ant mounds and I am also concerned with our dogs (safe for them also)

Emeraldmama7
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I was just telling another poster that my mom uses uncooked white rice on the paths and around the borders of her home to kill the ants.  It's worked for her so far!  As for chiggers....I'll have to give you a BUMP! =)

Bmat
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I googled chigger prevention yard and got several suggestions.

Some were mainly to keep the area well-mowed. One said as soon as the child comes in to bath her with antiseptic soap twice, which would remove any chiggers still on her skin and before they have time to bite.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)