Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Cleaning and deodorizing laundry

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:54 PM
  • 8 Replies

I recently noticed that my family's clothes were not getting very clean. I especially noticed the towels have been smelling musty. Since it is a front loading washing with the rubber seal around the door, I got some full strength white vinager and wiped that down and then put the vinager in the tub and then put some towels in there with the regular laundry detergent I use and washed things on hot and heavy duty. This seemed to get the smell out. My question is: Should I be running the laundry with white vinager as an add on to my detergent to not only get the stinky laundry to smell better, but to keep it deoderized on a regular basis? I have seen some of the women on this group that swear by vinager for cleaning EVERYTHING including laundry. Any tips would be appreciated.

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
JTE11
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:53 AM

My mum has a front loading washer and swears by the vinegar to take odors out of laundry. She doesn't use it in every load but when the towels are smelly from sitting damp in the basement for a few days before she can get to wash them the vinegar takes out the odor. Front loading washers tend to develop their own odors over time and she uses a product by Clorox that she runs through (a cleaner for HE washers) that takes the stink out of the washer itself. But yes, the vinegar does do a great job in taking odors out of the laundry itself and she uses it all of the time, especially on my dad's work clothing and towels.

AlyssaN
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM
I'm probably getting front loaders today so it's good to know, thanks.
I use white vinegar or ammonia for super stinky clothes/towels, and I always use hot water to wash towels. I only use tide with non-chlorine bleach and just use a small drizzle since the manufacturers say you don't need to use much.
Blue231
by New Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:56 PM
I haven't personally used vinegar in my laundry. I do add a scoop of borax powder along with regular detergent, when I have a load that needs it. The borax works great at getting out smells. You can find it in the store next to other laundry soap powders.
KamsOne
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I have the same problem with my front loader.  I'll run the load first with vinegar then run it again with baking soda.  It gets the stink out and keeps it out for a while.  After a few months the towels will start to stink again though and I'll have to do this again.

I haven't figured out how to keep them fresh all the time.  :(

Seagodess
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:53 PM
I run the washer with hot water and vinager once in a while too keep the smell away.
Necie72
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:21 AM

I use the Tide washing machine cleaner every 3 months or so.

3.ang3ls
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM
I use vinegar in almost every load. It works great for deodorizing the laundry and the washer, as well as a fabric softener. I believe I read somewhere, that it is also great for maintaining the color of your clothes longer.
lucsch
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I found my towels started smelling because I was using too much laundry detergent when washing them.  I read that somewhere online. I use white vinegar in the rinse cycle for everything instead of fabric softener. I also make sure I dry the towels on high heat thoroughly. I also wash them on hot, contrary to the instructions. I have problems with infections, so I need to minimize bacteria.

ETA: I have a top-loader HE washer. I leave the top open for air circulation. I also run at least one load of laundry a day. Every few months, I run some bleach tablets through it on the clean cycle. I also make my own laundry soap from borax/washing soda/zote or fels-naphta soap.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)